HOME ~ Contact us
ZEDEKIAH, King of Judah
ZEDEKIAH. (Mattaniah)( Sidqi-Yahu-S6). King of Judah. [Ancestors].
The last King of the southern Kingdom of Judah. King Zedekiah (597-587 B.C.) He was King when Judah was taken captive into Babylonia.
Mattaniah, meaning gift from Jehovah
Zedekiah, meaning righteousness of Jehovah
Born about 619 B.C.; the son of Josiah, King of Judah, and Hammutal.
And the sons of Josiah were, the firstborn Johanan, the second Jehoiakim, the third Zedekiah, the fourth Shallum. 1 Chr. 3:15
1 Chr. 3: 16 And the sons of Jehoiakim: Jeconiah his son, Zedekiah his son.
MADE KING/NAME CHANGED
He succeeded his nephew Jehoiakin as King of Judah. Jehoiakin was removed from the throne (about 599 B.C.-S5)(or 598 B.C.-S?) by King Nebuchadnezzar of Babylon. Zedekiah was then placed on the throne (in 599 B.C.-S5).
And the king of Babylon made Mattaniah his father’s brother king in his stead, and changed his name to Zedekiah. 2 Kgs. 24: 17 [see vs 15-18]
AND king Zedekiah the son of Josiah reigned instead of Coniah the son of Jehoiakim, whom Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon made king in the land of Judah. Jeremiah 37:1
2 Kgs. 24: 18 Zedekiah was twenty and one years old when he began to reign, and he reigned eleven years in Jerusalem. And his mother’s name was Hamutal, the daughter of Jeremiah of Libnah.
2 Chr. 36: 11 Zedekiah was one and twenty years old when he began to reign, and reigned eleven years in Jerusalem.
Jer. 49: 34 The word of the LORD that came to Jeremiah the prophet against Elam in the beginning of the reign of Zedekiah king of Judah, saying,
Jer. 52: 1 ZEDEKIAH was one and twenty years old when he began to reign, and he reigned eleven years in Jerusalem. And his mother’s name was Hamutal the daughter of Jeremiah of Libnah.
FIRST YEAR (Age 21)(599 B.C.)
1 Ne. 1: 4 For it came to pass in the commencement of the first year of the reign of Zedekiah, king of Judah, (my father, Lehi, having dwelt at Jerusalem in all his days); and in that same year there came many prophets, prophesying unto the people that they must repent, or the great city Jerusalem must be destroyed.
1 Ne. 5: 12 And also a record of the Jews from the beginning, even down to the commencement of the reign of Zedekiah, king of Judah;
1 Ne. 5: 13 And also the prophecies of the holy prophets, from the beginning, even down to the commencement of the reign of Zedekiah; and also many prophecies which have been spoken by the mouth of Jeremiah.
3 Ne. 1 And Helaman was the son of Helaman, who was the son of Alma, who was the son of Alma, being a descendant of Nephi who was the son of Lehi, who came out of Jerusalem in the first year of the reign of Zedekiah, the king of Judah.
FOURTH YEAR (age 24)(596 B.C.)
Jer. 28: 1 AND it came to pass the same year, in the beginning of the reign of Zedekiah king of Judah, in the fourth year, and in the fifth month, that Hananiah the son of Azur the prophet, which was of Gibeon, spake unto me in the house of the LORD, in the presence of the priests and of all the people, saying,
Jer. 29: 3 By the hand of Elasah the son of Shaphan, and Gemariah the son of Hilkiah, (whom Zedekiah king of Judah sent unto Babylon to Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon) saying,
Jer. 21: 1 THE word which came unto Jeremiah from the LORD, when king Zedekiah sent unto him Pashur the son of Melchiah, and Zephaniah the son of Maaseiah the priest, saying,
Jer. 21: 3 Then said Jeremiah unto them, Thus shall ye say to Zedekiah:
Jer. 21: 7 And afterward, saith the LORD, I will deliver Zedekiah king of Judah, and his servants, and the people, and such as are left in this city from the pestilence, from the sword, and from the famine, into the hand of Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon, and into the hand of their enemies, and into the hand of those that seek their life: and he shall smite them with the edge of the sword; he shall not spare them, neither have pity, nor have mercy.
Jer. 24: 8 And as the evil figs, which cannot be eaten, they are so evil; surely thus saith the LORD, So will I give Zedekiah the king of Judah, and his princes, and the residue of Jerusalem, that remain in this land, and them that dwell in the land of Egypt:
Jer. 27: 3 And send them to the king of Edom, and to the king of Moab, and to the king of the Ammonites, and to the king of Tyrus, and to the king of Zidon, by the hand of the messengers which come to Jerusalem unto Zedekiah king of Judah;
Jer. 27: 12 I spake also to Zedekiah king of Judah according to all these words, saying, Bring your necks under the yoke of the king of Babylon, and serve him and his people, and live.
Jer. 29: 21 Thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel, of Ahab the son of Kolaiah, and of Zedekiah the son of Maaseiah, which prophesy a lie unto you in my name; Behold, I will deliver them into the hand of Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon; and he shall slay them before your eyes;
Jer. 51: 59 The word which Jeremiah the prophet commanded Seraiah the son of Neriah, the son of Maaseiah, when he went with Zedekiah the king of Judah into Babylon in the fourth year of his reign. And this Seraiah was a quiet prince.
Jer. 52: 3 For through the anger of the LORD it came to pass in Jerusalem and Judah, till he had cast them out from his presence, that Zedekiah rebelled against the king of Babylon.
EIGHTH YEAR (age 28)(592 B.C.)
Baruch receives a vision. (S5).
NINTH YEAR (age 29)(591 B.C.)
Jer. 39: 1 IN the ninth year of Zedekiah king of Judah, in the tenth month, came Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon and all his army against Jerusalem, and they besieged it.
Jer. 52: 5 So the city was besieged unto the eleventh year of king Zedekiah.
TENTH YEAR (age 30)(590 B.C.)
Jer. 32: 1 THE word that came to Jeremiah from the LORD in the tenth year of Zedekiah king of Judah, which was the eighteenth year of Nebuchadrezzar.
Jer. 32: 3 For Zedekiah king of Judah had shut him up, saying, Wherefore dost thou prophesy, and say, Thus saith the LORD, Behold, I will give this city into the hand of the king of Babylon, and he shall take it; Jer. 32: 4 And Zedekiah king of Judah shall not escape out of the hand of the Chaldeans, but shall surely be delivered into the hand of the king of Babylon, and shall speak with him mouth to mouth, and his eyes shall behold his eyes; Jer. 32: 5 And he shall lead Zedekiah to Babylon, and there shall he be until I visit him, saith the LORD: though ye fight with the Chaldeans, ye shall not prosper.
Jer. 34: 2 Thus saith the LORD, the God of Israel; Go and speak to Zedekiah king of Judah, and tell him, Thus saith the LORD; Behold, I will give this city into the hand of the king of Babylon, and he shall burn it with fire:
Jer. 34: 4 Yet hear the word of the LORD, O Zedekiah king of Judah; Thus saith the LORD of thee, Thou shalt not die by the sword:
Jer. 34: 6 Then Jeremiah the prophet spake all these words unto Zedekiah king of Judah in Jerusalem,
Jer. 34: 8 This is the word that came unto Jeremiah from the LORD, after that the king Zedekiah had made a covenant with all the people which were at Jerusalem, to proclaim liberty unto them;
Jer. 34: 21 And Zedekiah king of Judah and his princes will I give into the hand of their enemies, and into the hand of them that seek their life, and into the hand of the king of Babylon’s army, which are gone up from you.
Jer. 37: 3 And Zedekiah the king sent Jehucal the son of Shelemiah and Zephaniah the son of Maaseiah the priest to the prophet Jeremiah, saying, Pray now unto the LORD our God for us.
Jer. 37: 17 Then Zedekiah the king sent, and took him out: and the king asked him secretly in his house, and said, Is there any word from the LORD? And Jeremiah said, There is: for, said he, thou shalt be delivered into the hand of the king of Babylon.
Jer. 37: 18 Moreover Jeremiah said unto king Zedekiah, What have I offended against thee, or against thy servants, or against this people, that ye have put me in prison?
Jer. 37: 21 Then Zedekiah the king commanded that they should commit Jeremiah into the court of the prison, and that they should give him daily a piece of bread out of the bakers’ street, until all the bread in the city were spent. Thus Jeremiah remained in the court of the prison.
Jer. 38: 5 Then Zedekiah the king said, Behold, he is in your hand: for the king is not he that can do any thing against you.
Jer. 38: 14 Then Zedekiah the king sent, and took Jeremiah the prophet unto him into the third entry that is in the house of the LORD: and the king said unto Jeremiah, I will ask thee a thing; hide nothing from me.
Jer. 38: 15 Then Jeremiah said unto Zedekiah, If I declare it unto thee, wilt thou not surely put me to death? and if I give thee counsel, wilt thou not hearken unto me?
Jer. 38: 16 So Zedekiah the king sware secretly unto Jeremiah, saying, As the LORD liveth, that made us this soul, I will not put thee to death, neither will I give thee into the hand of these men that seek thy life.
Jer. 38: 17 Then said Jeremiah unto Zedekiah, Thus saith the LORD, the God of hosts, the God of Israel; If thou wilt assuredly go forth unto the king of Babylon’s princes, then thy soul shall live, and this city shall not be burned with fire; and thou shalt live, and thine house:
Jer. 38: 19 And Zedekiah the king said unto Jeremiah, I am afraid of the Jews that are fallen to the Chaldeans, lest they deliver me into their hand, and they mock me.
Jer. 38: 24 Then said Zedekiah unto Jeremiah, Let no man know of these words, and thou shalt not die.
ELEVENTH YEAR (age 31)(589 B.C.)
2 Kgs. 25: 2 And the city was besieged unto the eleventh year of king Zedekiah.
Jer. 39: 2 And in the eleventh year of Zedekiah, in the fourth month, the ninth day of the month, the city was broken up.
Jer. 39: 4 And it came to pass, that when Zedekiah the king of Judah saw them, and all the men of war, then they fled, and went forth out of the city by night, by the way of the king’s garden, by the gate betwixt the two walls: and he went out the way of the plain.
Jer. 52: 8 But the army of the Chaldeans pursued after the king, and overtook Zedekiah in the plains of Jericho; and all his army was scattered from him.
Jer. 39: 5 But the Chaldeans’ army pursued after them, and overtook Zedekiah in the plains of Jericho: and when they had taken him, they brought him up to Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon to Riblah in the land of Hamath, where he gave judgment upon him.
Jer. 39: 6 Then the king of Babylon slew the sons of Zedekiah in Riblah before his eyes: also the king of Babylon slew all the nobles of Judah.
Jer. 52: 10 And the king of Babylon slew the sons of Zedekiah before his eyes: he slew also all the princes of Judah in Riblah.
Jer. 39: 7 Moreover he put out Zedekiah’s eyes, and bound him with chains, to carry him to Babylon.
Jer. 52: 11 Then he put out the eyes of Zedekiah; and the king of Babylon bound him in chains, and carried him to Babylon, and put him in prison till the day of his death.
2 Kgs. 25: 7 And they slew the sons of Zedekiah before his eyes, and put out the eyes of Zedekiah, and bound him with fetters of brass, and carried him to Babylon.
The Apocalypse of Baruch 8:4 The Chaldees led the people away captive, slew some, bound Zedekiah, and sent him to Babylon.
2 Chr. 36: 10 And when the year was expired, king Nebuchadnezzar sent, and brought him to Babylon, with the goodly vessels of the house of the LORD, and made Zedekiah his brother king over Judah and Jerusalem.
2 Kgs. 24: 20 For through the anger of the LORD it came to pass in Jerusalem and Judah, until he had cast them out from his presence, that Zedekiah rebelled against the king of Babylon.
Jer. 1: 3 It came also in the days of Jehoiakim the son of Josiah king of Judah, unto the end of the eleventh year of Zedekiah the son of Josiah king of Judah, unto the carrying away of Jerusalem captive in the fifth month.
Jer. 29: 22 And of them shall be taken up a curse by all the captivity of Judah which are in Babylon, saying, The LORD make thee like Zedekiah and like Ahab, whom the king of Babylon roasted in the fire.
His daughters escaped alive to Egypt with the prophet Jeremiah (i.e. Jeremiah 43:6-7).(S4).
He died in exile in Babylon, but it is not know how long after being taken captive there.
Pharaoh Hophra, who sent an army to the assistance of Zedekiah (Jer. 37: 5-11; Jer. 43: 9; Ezek. 17: 17; Ezek. 29: 2-3; Ezek. 30: 21-25; Ezek. 31: 2, 18; Ezek. 32: 2, 31-32). See also Abr. 1.
Jer. 44: 30 Thus saith the LORD; Behold, I will give Pharaoh-hophra king of Egypt into the hand of his enemies, and into the hand of them that seek his life; as I gave Zedekiah king of Judah into the hand of Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon, his enemy, and that sought his life.
CHILDREN of ZEDEKIAH
- TAMA TEPHI. (Tamar Tephi). [CHART A7]. She married EOCHIADH (Heremon), High-King of Ireland, son of Siorna. Eochiadh is sometimes said to be the son of Irial Faidh, but this is in error. Irial Faidh lived about a century earlier.
- MULEK. From the Book of Mormon: Behold, it came to pass that Mosiah discovered that the people of Zarahemla came out from Jerusalem at the time that Zedekiah, king of Judah, was carried away captive into Babylon. Omni 1: 15. Now the land south was called Lehi, and the land north was called Mulek, which was after the son of Zedekiah; for the Lord did bring Mulek into the land north, and Lehi into the land south. Helaman 6: 10. And now will you dispute that Jerusalem was destroyed? Will ye say that the sons of Zedekiah were not slain, all except it were Mulek? Yea, and do ye not behold that the seed of Zedekiah are with us, and they were driven out of the land of Jerusalem? Helaman 8: 21.
- [S1]. The Holy Bible. KJV. Including the Bible Dictionary.
- [S2]. From Adam, 4000 B. Ce, To...... Site Ownerfirstname.lastname@example.org. Mississippi State University. http://www.msstate.edu/listarchives/afrigeneas/199702/msg00191.html
- [S3]. http://www.christiananswers.net/dictionary/mattaniah.html
- [S4]. Daily Bible Study. http://www.execulink.com/~wblank/20020213.htm
CHARLES, R.H. The Apocalypse of Baruch. 1988. (Syriac text). Destiny Publishers:Merrimac, Massachusetts.
- [S5]. Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zedekiah.
- [S6]. Ancestry of Marinus Anthony van der Sluijs (1976-). http://www.mythopedia.info/ancestry-irish-2.htm.
- [S7]. Tamar Thephi OF JUDAH. Index, Surnames, Family Homepage, E-mail, HTML by GED2HTML v3.5e-WIN95 (Sep 26 1998). 03/06/01 11:56:15 . http://www.gbnf.com/genealog4/sahlin/html/index/ind0578.HTM
HOW ARE WE RELATED:
- ZEDEKIAH, King of Judah
- TAMA TEPHI married OILIALLA. (Eochaid I), King of Ireland.
- GIALLCHADH, the 37th King of Ireland, 561BC-552BC.
- NUADH (Nuadhas Fionnfail), the 39th King of Ireland, 540BC-527BC.
- Aedan Glas. (Aodhan Glas). The Annals of the Four Masters does not list Aedan Glas as a ruler, which has created confusion in some lists.
- Simon Breac. (Siomon Breac), the 44th King of Ireland, 483BC-477BC.
- MUIREADHACH (Muirteadach Boigrach), the 46th King of Ireland, 469BC-468BC.
- FAICHAGH (Fiachadh Toigrach), the 55th King of Ireland, about 407BC.
- DUACH (Duach Laidhrach), the 59th King of Ireland, 381BC-371BC.
- EOCHAIDH (Eochaidh Buailgllerg)(Eochaidh Buadhach).
- UGAINE MOR, the Great, the 66th King of Ireland, 330BC-300BC.
- Cobhthach Coalbreag (Cobhthach Cael Breagh), the 69th King of Ireland, 284BC-267BC.
- Meilage Aminadab (Mellage, Melg Molbhthach, Melghe Molbhthach), the 71st King of Ireland, 253BC-241BC.
- JURAN Gleofathach (Jaran, Iarn, Irereo), the 74th King of Ireland, 228BC-222BC.
- Conla Cruaidh Cealgach (Connla Caemh), the 76th King of Ireland, 215BC-211BC.
- OILIALLA Caisfhaiclach. 77th King of Ireland, 211BC-186BC.
- EOCHAIDH Foitleathan (Eochaidh Ailtleathan). 79th King of Ireland, 181BC-174BC.
- Aengus Tuirheach Teamhrach. (Angus II)(Oengus). 81st High King of Ireland, 162BC-130BC. md Magach ingen Fergusa.
- Fiachu Fer Mara mac Aengusa.
- Ailill Erann mac Fiachach.
- Fearadhach mac Ailella. md Urlachan.
- Fergus mac Feradaig, King of Caledonia.
- Maine Mor mac Fergusa, King of Caledonia
- Airndil Dornaidel Nimrod mac Maine, King of Caledonia.
- Rothrer mac Airndil. King of Caledonia.
- Trer mac Rotherer.
- Roshin mac Trer Ui Eremoin.
- Suin Mac Rosin. King of Dalriada.
- Dedad Deagha mac Suin.
- Ivar Mór Ottangus mac Deadha. md Sinusa.
- Ailill Anglonnach Aulomm. md Maedhb ingen Echdach.
- Eogan Eoghan Ottaongus MacAilell. md Muncha ingen Dil o Crecraighe.
- Eterscél Mór mac Eoghan. King of Ireland. md Mess Buachalla ingen Echach
- Conaire I Mor mac Etersceoil .
- Cairpre Finn Mor mac Conaire ui Eremoin. (20AD-71AD).
- Daire Dorn Mor mac Cairpre. King of Caledonia.
- Coirpre Cromcheann mac Daire. King of Caledonia. (c55AD-103AD).
- Luctacus mac Caibre. (Lugaid Allathach). King of Caledonia. (c78AD-109AD).
- Mogh Lamha Lamha mac Lugdach. King of Scotland. (c110AD-?). md Eithne.
- Conaire Caem mac Modh Lamha. (c125AD-165AD). Established Kingdom of Dalriada, Ireland. Md Saraid ingen Cuinn Ceadcatha
- Eochaid Cairbre Riata mac Conaire. (c148AD-186AD). King of Dál Riata, Ireland. Md Morgan Finn NicFideach Ohailill
- Fiachra Cathmail mac Echach. (c175AD-252AD). of Dalriada, Ireland.
- Eochaid Antoit mac Fiachrach. (203AD-272AD). King of Dalriata.
- Achir Cirre mac Echach. (c231AD-294AD). King of Dalriada Ireland
- Finn Fiacc mac Achir. (249AD-303AD). King of Dalriada Ireland.
- Cruitluithe mac Finn. (c270AD-317AD). King od Dalriada Ireland.
- Senchormac Fincormach mac Cruithluithe. (c280AD-338AD). King of Dalriada Ireland.
- Fedelmid Ruamach mac Senchormac. (c304AD-?). King of Dalriada Ireland.
- Aengus Buiding mac Feideilmid. King of Dalriada Ireland.
- Fedelmid Aislingich Fedlimid Aisling. King of Dalriada, Ireland
- Aengus Fert mac Feideilmid.. King of Dalriada, Ireland
- Eochaid Muinremuir mac Oengus. King of Dalriada Ireland. (c380AD-439AD).
- ERC mac Echach. (c400AD-474AD). Had 12 sons, six stayed in Ireland, six moved to Scotland.
- FERGUS Mor Mac Erca Came to Scotland about 420 AD. (?-487AD).
- DOMANGART I (Dongard) (?-457AD)
- GABHRAN (Conran) (d. 535 AD)
- AIDAN of Argyll (Edhan) (?-608AD)
- EOCHAIDH I Buidhe (Eugene IV) (d.622AD)
- DOMNALL BREC (Donald IV) (?-c642AD)
- DOMANGART II MacDomnall (?-673AD)
- EOICHAID of Argyl (?-698AD) md. Entfidich
- EOICHAID III (?-733AD)
- Aed Find (Etfinus, Ethafind) (d. 761 AD) m. Fergina
- EOCHAID Achaias (d. 819 AD) m. Fergusia
- ALPIN MacEochaid (d. 834 AD)
- Kenneth II MacAlpin (c810-854AD)
- Constantin I, King of Scotland (d. 874 AD)
- DONALD II, King of Scotland (d. 903 AD)
- MALCOLM I, King of Scotland (?-954AD)
- KENNETH II, King of Scotland (?-995AD)
- MALCOLM II, King of Scotland (c954-1034AD)
- Bethoc (Beatrix) md. Crinan of Dunkeld.
- Duncan I, The Gracious (c1001-1040) md. Aelflaed (Sybil) of Northumbria
- MALCOLM III Caenmore (A.D.1055-1093) md. Margarethe of England
Our Line of Descent from Malcolm III:
MALCOLM III Caenmore (A.D.1055-1093) md. Margarethe of England
DAIVD I, The Saint, md. Maud of Northcumberland EDITH, md Henry I, King of England
HENRY of Huntingdon md. Adama of Surrey Matilda. (Maud) She married (1) Henry V of Germany. she married (2) Geoffrey V, Count of Anjou and Maine.
David of Huntingdon md. Maud of Chester HENRY II, King of England md Ida, Countess of Norfolk
Isabella of Huntingdon md. Robert IV de Brus William I Longspee md Ela Fitzpatrick
Robert V de Brus md. Isabella de Clare, of Gloucester William II Longspee md Idonie de Camville
Robert VI de Brus md. Marjorie of Carrick Ela Longspee md James de Audley
Robert I Bruce md. Isabella of Mar Hugh de Audley md Isolde de Mortimer
Margary Bruce md. Walter Stewart III Hugh de Audley md Margaret de Clare
Robert II md. Euphemia of Ross Margaret de Audley. md Ralph de Stafford
Robert III (Stuart) md. Arabella Drummond Hugh Stafford. md Philippa de Beauchamp
James I, King of Scotland md. Joan Beaufort Edmund Stafford. md Anne of Gloucester
Joan STEWART (STUART) md. James DOUGLAS III, Earl of Morton Humphrey Stafford. md Anne Neville
Janet DOUGLAS (c1461-1489). md. Patrick HEPBURN Margaret Stafford md Robert Dunham
Jane HEPBURN (1485-c1558). md. George SEATON John Dunham md Elizabeth Bowett
George SEATON III (c1508-1549). md. Elizabeth HAY John Dunham II md Jean Thorland
Marion SEATON (1528-1567). md. John GRAHAM John Dunham III md Benedict Folgamsee
Margaret (Mary) GRAHAM md. George BUCHANAN Ralph Dunham. He married Elizabeth Wentworth.
Margaret Helen BUCHANAN md. (Sir) Alexander COLQUHOUN Thomas Dunham. He married Jane Bromley.
(Sir) Alexander COLQUHOUN md. Marion Stirling (Sterling) John Dunham Sr.. He married Susanna Kenney/Keno.
(Sir) John COLQUHOUN (1595 or1632-c1647) md. Rebecca Short John Dunham Jr.. He married Mary.
William CAHOON (1633-1675) md. Deliverence PECK Mary Dunham. She married James Hamblin
Joseph CAHOON (1665-1710) md. (2) Elizabeth SCRANTON Elkenah Hamblin. He married Abigail Hamblin.
Ebenezer CAHOON md. Mary REYNOLDS Sylvanus Hamblin. He married Dorcas Fish.
William CAHOONE md. (2) Elizabeth VAUGHAN Barnabus Hamblin. He married Mary Bassett.
William CAHOON md. (2) Mary SMITH Isaiah Hamblin. He married Daphne Haynes.
Mary CAHOON md. David ELLIOTT Jacob Vernon Hamblin md Sarah Priscilla Leavitt.
Peter Mack ELLIOTT md. Charlotte ALVORD Ella Ann Hamblin = Warren Moroni Tenney
Harriett Louisa ELLIOTT md. James Newberry MORRIS Clive Vernon Tenney = Minnie Williams
Eli Ray MORRIS (1892-1980) md. Tina Matilda KUNZLER Mildred Ella Tenney = Glenn Russell Handy
LeGrand Elliott MORRIS md. Dorothea Bertha Ernestine Kersten |
Rodney Allen MORRIS -- married -- Deborah Lee Handy