HOME ~ Contact us
Anthony Stoddard and Mary Downing
Anthony Stoddard. [Ancestors].
Born (in 1600)(in 1614-S5)(about 1614-S7)(in 1617-S5), (in Edinborough, Midlothian, Scotland-S4,S5)(in London, England-S1); son of Anthony Stoddard and Alice Martin. (S1,S5).
He was a cousin of William Payne.(S5).
Anthony Stoddard was wealthy Boston merchant. (S7).
Anthony Stoddard emigrated from the west of England, and came to Boston about 1639. (S4).
He married (1) Mary Downing (Martha-S6) on 16 July 1639 in Boston, Suffolk, Massachusetts. (S1,S2,S3,S5).
He was Recorder in Boston.
He served 23 years as Representative in the General Court.
He married (2) Barbara Clap, widow of Capt. Joseph Weld of Roxbury, (on-S4)(about-S5) 24 August 1647, in Boston, Suffolk County, Massachusetts (S1), by whom he had two children. (S4).
He married (3) Christian (Eyre?)(Ayers-S1,S5) (in 1655-S4)(between June and September of 1655-S5), in Boston, Suffolk County, Massachusetts (S1), by whom he had ten children. (S4).
He married (4) Mary (Synmes)(Savage) after 7 December 1683.(S5).
He died on 16 March 1686-1687, at Boston, Suffolk County, Massachusetts (S1,S2,S4); and was buried in the Central Burying Ground, (Memorial ID 57207908), at Boston, Suffolk County, Massachusetts. (S1,S2).
NOTE: My 8th great-grandfather. Alas, this is not where he is buried. Central Burying Ground wasn't established until 1756. I contacted Boston cemeteries department who keeps all ancient records. They know where many of his kin are, but not Anthony. Left by Peter Stoddard on 23 Aug 2017. (S1).
Born (by about 1615)(about 1620).
Came from London to Massachusetts Bay in 1633 on the "Mary & Jane," & settled in Boston.
Daughter of Emmanuel Downing and Ann Ware, a barrister of the Inner Temple in London, and of Lucy Winthrop, younger sister of Massachusetts Bay Governor John Winthrop. (S5,S9).
Daughter of Joseph Downing and Mary Rose. (S3).
Daughter of Hon. Samuel Downing of Salem, and sister of Sir George, afterward Lord George Downing, and a niece to Governor John Winthrop). (S4,S7).
MARY DOWNING was daughter by his first wife, Anne Ware, of Emanuel Downing, who would come to New England in 1638. Her brother JAMES DOWNING had come to New England in 1630 with JOHN WINTHROP , and her sister SUSAN DOWNING had accompanied her in 1633. In 1622 Emanuel Downing had married as his second wife Lucy Winthrop, sister of Governor JOHN WINTHROP , and so all the members of that clan were her very close step-relations. (S8).
She married Anthony Stoddard on 16 July 1639 in Boston, Suffolk, Massachusetts. (S1,S2).
Mary died on (16 June-S1)(16 July-S5)(11 February-S6) 1647, in Boston, Suffolk County, Massachusetts. (S1,S5). (from birth complications ?).
CHILDREN of Anthony Stoddard and Mary Downing:
- Benjamin Stoddard. (23AUG1640-26AUG1640).
- Solomon StoddardSolomon Stoddard. Born on (26 September-S?)(4 October-S4) 1643. He married Esther Warham, Widow of Rev. Eleazer Mather. He died on 11 February 1729.
- Samson Stoddard. (3DEC1645-4NOV1698).
- Simeon Stoddard. (born 25 May 1647).
Barbara Clapp. Born in 1614 in Sidbury, Devon, England; daughter of Nicholas Clapp and Elizabeth. She married Joseph Weld on 20 October 1639. Joseph died on 7 October 1646. She married (2) Anthony Stoddard (on-S1)(about-S5) 24 August 1647, in Boston, Suffolk County, Massachusetts. (S1). Barbara (died (about 1654-S5)(15 April 1655-S1)
CHILDREN of Anthony Stoddard and Barbara (Clapp) Weld:
Grace Stoddard. (1648-?).
Samuel Stoddard. (1650-1650).
Simeon Stoddard. (1651-1730).
Sarah Stoddard. (1652-1665).
Stephen Stoddard. (6 January 1654-?)
She married Anthony Stoddard (in 1655-S1)(between June and September of 1655-S5), in Boston, Suffolk County, Massachusetts. (S4). Christian died in 1669-S1).
CHILDREN of Anthony Stoddard and Christian Ayre:
Anthony Stoddard. (1656-1703).
Christian Stoddard. (1657-?).
Lydia Stoddard. (1660-?).
Joseph Stoddard. (1661-?).
John Stoddard. (1663-).
Ebenezer Stoddard. (1664-?).
Dorothy Stoddard. (1665-?).
Mary Stoddard. (1668-?).
Jane Stoddard (Twin)(born 29 Jul 1669)
Grace Stoddard (Twin)(born 29 Jul 1669).
Mary Synmes. (Symmes) Born in 1628 (S5), daughter of (Rev) Zechariah Symmes. She married (1) Thomas Savage.(S5). She married (2) Anthony Stoddard.
- [S1]. Anthony Stoddard. Find A Grave. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/57207908. QUOTES as source: Marriages of Anthony Stoddard per the book, The Genealogy of the family of Anthony Stoddard dated 1849.
- [S2]. Anthony Stoddard. Family Central, Family History Services. http://www.familycentral.net/index/family.cfm?ref1=5461:7081&ref2=5461:7082. QUOTES as sources: Ancestral File (TM), data as of 2 January 1996.
- [S3]. Anthony Stoddard. Home Card - Family Card. http://www.americanheritagefamilies.com/wc26/wc26_459.htm.
- [S4]. History of ancient Woodbury, Connecticut, from the first Indian deed in 1659 ... including the present towns of Washington, Southbury, Bethlem, Roxbury, and a part of Oxford and Middlebury". http://www.archive.org/stream/historyofancient21coth/historyofancient21coth_djvu.txt.
- [S5]. U.S., New England Marriages Prior to 1700. Ancestry.com.
- [S6]. Massachusetts, Town and Vital Records, 1620-1988. Ancestry.com.
- [S7]. Solomon Stoddard. Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solomon_Stoddard.
- [S8]. Mary Downing Stoddard. Find A Grave. https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/35827794.
- [S9]. Sir George Downing, 1st Baronet. Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_George_Downing,_1st_Baronet
HOW ARE WE RELATED:
Anthony Stoddard and Mary Downing
(Reverend) Solomon Stoddard and Esther Warham
(Reverend) Anthony Stoddard and Prudence Goodrich Welles
Elisha Stoddard and Rebecca Curtis
David Stoddard and Elizabeth Reed
Polly Stoddard and William Haynes
Isaiah Hamblin. He married Daphne Haynes.
Jacob Vernon Hamblin md Sarah Priscilla Leavitt.
Ella Ann Hamblin md Warren Moroni Tenney.
Clive Vernon Tenney md Minnie Williams
Mildred Ella Tenney = Glenn Russell Handy
Deborah Lee Handy and Rodney Allen Morris