Thomas Scott and Elizabeth Strutt
Christened on 26 February 1594-1595 in Rattlesden, Suffolk County, England; son of Henry SCOTT and Margaret/Martha.
He married Elizabeth STRUTT on 20 July 1620 in Rattlesden, Suffolk, England. They sailed from Ipswich, England in APR 1634 to America in the ship Elizabeth, William Andrews, master, and settled at Ipswich, Massachusetts.
Thomas Scott's will was dated 8 March 1654. He died on 17 MAR 1654 at Ipswich, Essex County, Massachusetts. (S8, S9). His will was probated 28 March 1654, a few days later. This will gives 25 pounds to each of his daughters: Elizabeth, Abigail, Hannah, Sarah and Mary. The two eldest were to be paid with the year, the younger to be paid at age twenty-one or half the sum sooner at marriage.
Thomas apparently had a large estate, part of which was a vessel. John Kimball gives an affidavit to the court in 1684 that Thomas Scott of Ipswich and John Degrade of New York had dealt a large amount with each other, and that Thomas Scott said he had John Degrade in prison for a debt that he owed him. Thomas died intestate, in 1657, before MAY. His family petitioned the court on 25 SEP 1683 concerning the disposition of his estate, claiming that his widow presented an imperfect inventory to the court, with a subsequent inventory still being imperfect, with excessive debts and an imprecise list of creditors. They present what they claim to be a perfect inventory
Elizabeth was the daughter of Christopher STRUTT and Anne WALLER. She was christened 16 May 1594 in Rattlesden, Suffolk, England. She married Thomas SCOTT on 20 July 1620 in Rattlesden, Suffolk, England. She came to America with her husband in 1634, (but died before his will was made in 1654-S1)(She died in 1678 in Rowley-S2)(about 1678-S8)(22 JUN 1678-S10).
CHILDREN of Thomas Scott and Elizabeth Strutt:
- Elizabeth SCOTT. Christened 18 November 1623 in Rattlesden. She married John SPOFFORD (SPAFORD) of Rowley, Massaachusetts (about 1645-S2)(before 1647-S1) in Rowley, Essex County, Massachusetts. Elizabeth died 10 FEB 1690-1691 in Bradford, Essex County, Massachusetts.
- Abigail SCOTT. Christened 5 MAR 1625 in Rattlesden, Suffolk, England. She married Hanniel BOSWORTH (1614-1683) of Ipswich, Massachusetts about 1655 in Ipswich, Essex County, Massachusetts. Abigail died (after 1683)(after 1700-S8) in Haverhill, Essex County, Massachusetts.
- Thomas SCOTT Jr. Christened 15 JUN 1628 in Rattlesden. He married Margaret HUBBARD, sister of Rev. William HUBBARD. He died (6 September 1657-S2)(1657-S8)(before APR 1684-S1) at Ipswich, Massachusettts. Margaret married (2) Ezekiel ROGERS at least by 1661. Her will was written 28 JUN 1678.
- Benjamin Scott. Christened 3 February 1630 in Rattlesden, England. He died on 10 AUG 1633, and was buried there 30 August 1633.
- Hannah SCOTT. Born about 1635-6 in Ipswich, after the family arrived in America. After her father's death she apparently came to Stamford to be a ward of her brother. She married Edmond (Edmund) LOCKWOOD of Stamford on 7 JAN 1655-1656 at Stamford, Connecticut. She died on 12 April 1706 at Stamford.
- Sarah SCOTT. Born about 1637-1638 in Ipswich, Massachusetts. In 1661 an acknowledgement was given to the court by Ezekiel Rogers for her share of her fatherís estate. m. 5 Dec 1645 John Stanley
- Mary SCOTT. Born about 1639 in Ipswich, Essex County, Massachusetts. She married Thomas PATCH. She died 26 September 1728.
- [S1]. Historical Collections of the Essex Institute. 1862. Vol. 4:25-27. Salem:G.M.Whipple& A.A. Smith.
http://users.aol.com/gamelbar/escott1.htm. QUOTES as sources: a) Some Descendants of Edmund Lockwood (1594-1635) ...,' Harriet Woodbury Hodge, C.G., published by Philip V. Lockwood, 1978. b) Holman, Mary Lovering, Ancestry of Charles Pillsbury and John Pillsbury, two volumes, [Concord, New Hampshire : The Rumford Press, 1938], p. 81,83. c) Morrison, Leonard Allison, History of the Kimball Family in America, Volume I, [Boston : Damarell & Upham, 1897], p. 28.
- [S2]. www.cyberancestors.com/cummins/g873.html.
- [S3]. The Kimball Family Online. http://www.cyberancestors.com/cummins/g480.html#I4803.
- [S4]. Notes on the Genealogy of Edmund Scott. www.askgar.com/waterbury/
- [S1]. firstfamilies/edmund.scott.html.
- [S5]. www.thomashastings.org/eliz.htm.
- [S6]. The PEDIGREE of Thomas SCOTT. http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~jamesdow/s090/f000091.htm.
- [S7]. Ancetors of Winslow Farr Sr. and Olive Hovey Freeman. http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/7379/scott.html.
- [S8]. http://www.infomagic.net/~nmcarter/dat36.htm
- [S9]. Long Island Genealogy. http://www.longislandgenealogy.com/titmus/fam00270.htm.
- [S10]. http://www.goldsbyfamily.info/genealogy/fam/fam00188.htm
- [S11]. New England Historical and Genealogical Register. Vol. CXLI, No. 561, January 1987.
- [S12]. TheEnglish Ancestry of Elizabeth Strutt, Wife of Thomas Scott of Ipswich, Mass.
- [S13]. Churchyard/Orr Family Museum (Genealogy). http://www.crossmyt.com/hc/gen/chfmbct3.html.