HOME ~ Contact us
Edward Phelps and Elizabeth Adams
Edward PHELPS. [Ancestors].
Born (in 1620-S2,S8)(about 1624-S1)(1627-S7) (Bolton, Manchester) or (London), England; son of Henry PHELPS and Eleanor SHARP.
He was of Bolton, England.
He married Elizabeth ADAMS (about 1645-?)(1646-S2(about 1651-S1)(1658-S8) at Newbury, Massachusetts.
In the year 1678 all the male citizens in each town were ordered to take the oath of allegiance to the king. The list of names recorded for the town of Andover of those males over the age of 16 having taken the oath of allegance, in February 1678 contains the name of: Phelps, Edward, Junr. (S9) [It is not clear why the suffix “Junr.” Is used here at this date]
SAMUEL PHELPS and EDWARD PHFILPS were weavers. An ancient deed signed by them and their wives, respectively, Sarah Phelps and Ruth Phelps conveys, 1697, land near 11 rattlesnake rode to Timothy Abbot. (S9).
He died (in 1689-S10)(on 3 October 1689-S12,S13) at Andover, Essex County, Massachusetts (S12).
From the Ballard Genealogy:
Joseph Ballard signed an agreement for the settlement of the estate of Edward Phelps, his wife's father, with the widow Elizabeth and sons Samuel and Edward Phelps, and another son-in-law, William Chandler, Jan. 17, 1689-1690.
Elizabeth ADAMS. [Ancestors].
Born (about 1624-S1)(in 1627-S10)(about 1641-S5,S8)(about 1641-1642-S12) at Newbury, Essex County, Massachusetts (S12); daughter of Robert ADAMS and Elanor WILMOT.
She married (1) Samuel SHARP. (S?).
She married (2) Edward PHELPS (about 1645-S?)(1646-S2(about 1651-S1)(about 1658-S8) at Newbury, Massachusetts. She moved to Andover, Massachusetts; where they lived. (S12).
She died (in 1718-S10)(on 4 May 1718) Worcester, Lancaster, MA. (S1,S2).
CHILDREN of Edward PHELPS and Elizabeth ADAMS:
- Elizabeth PHELPS. Born about 1646 at Newbury, Massachusets. She married (Ensign) Joseph BALLARD on 28 February 1665 (S11) at Andover, Essex County, Massachusetts. She died 27 July 1692 at Andover, Essex County, Massachusetts. (S11). Joseph married (2) Rebecca Waters on 15 November 1692. (S11). Rebecca was the daughter of Joshua Rea and Sarah Waters, and the widow of Samuel Stevens and Simon Horne. (S11). Joseph died in 1720. (S11).
- Edward PHELPS. Born about 1649 at Newbury, Essex County, Massachusetts.
- Elinor PHELPS. Born about 1648 at Newbury, Essex County, Massachusetts.
- Samuel PHELPS. [Ancestors]. Born in 1651 at Newbury, Essex County, Massachusetts. He married Sarah CHANDLER on 29 (May-S8)(March) 1682 at Andover, Essex County, Massachusetts. He appears on a list of taxpayers in the year 1692, as being from the south part of the town. (S9). He died on 26 January 1746 at Andover, Essex County, Massachusetts.
- Bridget PHELPS. Born about 1652 at Newbury, Essex County, Massachusetts.
- John PHELPS. Born 15 December 1657 at Newbury, Essex County, Massachusetts. He died 29 Jun 1677 at (Black Point, Massachusetts)(Scarboro, Maine-S?), when he was killed by Indians. He was buried at Andover, Essex County, Massachusetts.
- Eleanor PHELPS. Born in 1660 at Newbury, Essex County, Massachusetts. She married William CHANDLER on 21 APR 1687 at Andover, Essex County, Massachusetts. She die after 10 NOV 1728 at Westford, Middlesex County, Massachusetts.
- Edward PHELPS. Born in 1663 at Newbury, Essex County, Massachusetts. He married Ruth ANDREW on 19 March (1682-S?)(1683) at Andover, Essex County, Massachusetts. He died on 30 NOV 1748, probably at Andover.
- Rebecca PHELPS. It seems pretty certain that this is the child of another family.
[NOTE: check death records to see if there were two Eleanors and two Edwards].
- [S1]. http://www.cox-internet.com/phillipsben/dat37.html.
- [S2]. http://www.sharrow.com/genealogy/robt.adams.1600.hourglass.pdf.
- [S3]. http://users.rcn.com/lmerrell/d0003/g0000213.htm
- [S4]. Pane-Joyce Genealogy. http://babbage.clarku.edu/~djoyce/gen/report/rr01/rr01_338.html
- [S5]. http://www.rootsweb.com/~jadmire/pete/d0000/g0000033.html
- [S6]. http://www.imt.net/~toss/Adams.html and http://www.imt.net/~toss/Phelps.html.
- [S7]. http://home.earthlink.net/~haburt/main/chart2314.htm
- [S8]. http://www.howellresearch.com/d0082/g0000064.html#I64519.
- [S9]. HISTORICAL SKETCHES OF ANDOVER. Chapter I. http://www.usigs.org/library/books/ma/Andover1880/and01Settlers.txt.
- [S10]. U.S., New England Marriages Prior to 1700. Ancestry.com.
- [S11]. Colonial Families of the USA, 1607-1775, Volume III. Ancestry.com.
- [S12]. North America, Family Histories, 1500-2000. Ancestry.com.
- [S13]. Andover. Massachusetts, Town and Vital Records, 1620-1988. Ancestry.com.
HOW ARE WE RELATED:
- Elizabeth Adams and Edward Phelps
- Samuel Phelps and Sarah Chandler
- John Phelps and Sarah Andrews
- John Phelps and Deborah Lovejoy
- Samuel Phelps and Margaret Nevins
- Ebenezer Ferrin and Lydia Phelps
- Samuel Ferrin and Sally Clotilda Powell
- Lydia Powell Ferrin and George William Washington Williams
- George William Williams and Harriett Thurston
- Minnie Williams and Clive Vernon Tenney
- Mildred Ella Tenney and Glenn Russell Handy
- Deborah Lee Handy and Rodney Allen Morris