HOME ~ Contact us
John Leavitt and Sarah Gilman
John LEAVITT. [PC T4-1].
Born in 1608 in England; son of Percival LEAVITT and Margaret LINKLEY.
The Dudley genealogy states: "John ran away from an apprenticeship at the age of 19." All early authors and family tradition agree on this fact. If still an apprentice he would have to be under the age of 21 as apprentices were freed of their commitment at age 21. So being born in 1608, he would have reached the age of 19 in 1629. This makes it very likely 1628 was the year he arrived in America. (S9).
As an apprentice John learned the trade of tailoring and went into business in Dorchester. After he became possessed of some property in Dorchester his Master learned of his whereabouts, came overseas and took from him his possessions, as by law he was entitled to do. History of Rockingham County, N.H, states: His master came from England and took away his little property in Dorchester so Deacon John went to Hampton and Exeter N.H. for a time. This statement has possibilities. It may be the reason of five of his sons settling in and near Exeter. (S9).
He married Mary in 1637. Mary died in July 1646. (S9).
He married Sarah GILMAN on 16 December 1646 at Hingham, Plymouth County, Massachusetts. He was called Captain. He was also a deacon.
He died on 20 November 1691 in Hingham, Plymouth County, Massachusetts; and was buried in the Hingham Plain Burying Ground.
Said to have the surname Lovet (S9), but this is probably confusion from the Leavitt name after they were married.
CHILDREN of John LEAVITT and Mary:
- John LEAVITT (John) born 19 Jul 1637 in Hingham, Plymouth County, Massachusettes and died 1668/1674. On 27 Jun 1664, in Hingham, Plymouth County, Massachusettes he married Bathsheba HOBART. Bathsheba was born 28 Sept 1640 in Hingham, Plymouth County, Massachusettes. She was the daughter of Peter HOBART and _?_.
- Hannah LEAVITT (John) christened 1 Apr 1639 in Hingham, Plymouth County, Massachusettes and died 23 Apr 1662 in Hull, Plymouth County, Massachusettes. On 20 Jul 1659 in Hingham, Plymouth County, Massachusettes she married John LOBDELL. John was born 1639 in Hull, Yorkshire, England.
- Samuel LEAVITT (John) christened 7 Apr 1641 in Hingham, Plymouth County, Massachusettes and died 6 Aug 1707 in Exeter, Rockingham County, New Hampshire. About 1664 in Hingham, Plymouth County, Massachusettes he married Mary ROBINSON. Mary was born about 1643 in Plymouth, Plymouth County, Massachusettes.
- Elizabeth LEAVITT (John) born 28 Apr 1644 in Hingham, Plymouth County, Massachusettes and died 4 Feb 1688 in Hingham, Plymouth County, Massachusettes. On 25 Mar 1667 in Plymouth, Plymouth County, Massachusettes she married Samuel JUDKINS. Samuel was born 27 Nov 1638 in Boston, Suffolk County, Massachusettes. He was the son of Job JUDKINS and Sarah _?_.
- Jeremiah LEAVITT (John) christened 1 Mar 1645/1646 in Hingham, Plymouth County, Massachusettes and died before 1689.
Sarah GILMAN. [PC T4-1].
She is that daughter of Edward GILMAN and Mary CLARK.
It is recorded that Sarah Gilman and her twin brother Edward were christened on 26 December 1617 in Hingham, Norfolk, England. It is also recorded that Sarah Gilman was christened on 19 January 1622. I believe that the Sarah christened in 1617 was a younger sibling who died between 1617 and 1622, and that the Sarah Gilman who is our ancestor was indeed christened on 19 January 1622 in Hingham, Norfolk, England. Thus she was not the Sarah who was a twin to Edward. Note that it has also been said that she was christened in Caston instead of Hingham, but I need a qualified source for it occuring in Caston.
Sarah arrived in New England with her father and mother and her siblings. They came to Boston 1638 in the ship Diligent. They settled in Hingham, Plymouth County, Massachusetts.
She married John LEAVITT [F3776] on 16 December 1646 at Hingham, Plymouth County, Massachusetts. She died on 26 MAY 1700 at Hingham, Plymouth County, Massachusetts.
CHILDREN of John LEAVITT [F3776] and Sarah GILMAN [F3777]:
- Israel LEAVITT. Born on 23 April 1648 in Hingham, Plymouth County, Massachusetts. He married (1) Lydia Jackson. He married (2) Preserved Hall. He died on 26 December 1696 in Massachusetts.
- Moses LEAVITT. [PC T4-1]. Born on 12 August 1650 in Massachusetts. He married Dorothy DUDLEY. He died on 17 June 1730 in New Hamphire.
- Josiah LEAVITT. Born May 04, 1653 in Massachusetts; died September 14, 1708 in Massachusetts. He married Maragret Johnson.
- Nehemiah LEAVITT. Born on 25 January 1655-1656 in Massachusetts; died on 25 May 1715 in Massachusetts. He married Alice Gilman.
- Sarah LEAVITT. Born February 25, 1658/59 in Massachusetts; died May 29, 1726 in Massachusetts. She married (1) Nehemiah CLAPP. She married (2) Samuel HOURE.
- Mary LEAVITT. Born June 12, 1661 in Massachusetts; died 1689 in Massachusetts. She married Benjamin Bates.
- Hannah LEAVITT. Born on 20 March 1663-1664 in Hingham, Plymouth County, Massachusetts. Hannah married (1) Joseph LORING. She married (2) (Captain) Joseph ESTABROOK. She died on 5 October 1728 in Lexington, Middlesex County, Massachusetts.
- Abigail (Abial) LEAVITT. Born on 9 December 1667 in Massachusetts. She married (1) Isaac Lasell (1660-1690). She married (2) Isaac JOHNSON. She died on 11 November 1770 in Massachusetts.
- [S1]. http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Plains/5085/gilman.htm
- [S2]. http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Plains/5085/jleavitt.htm
- [S3]. http://www.cccnj.net/~taktani/gilman.html
- [S4]. http://www.mayflowerfamilies.com/cooke/d15.htm. Quotes from Genealogy of Captain John Johnson of Roxbury, Mass, Generations I to XIV, by Paul Franklin Johnson, Editor 1945.
- [S5]. http://rmeservy.byu.edu/cgi-win/pafweb.exe/CGI?Davisp~1381.
- [S6]. Genealogy of Connecticut. Cutter. 1911. pg. 1350.
- [S7]. Early Families Connectyed with The Leavitts. Pg. 349-350. QUOTES as sources: a) Gilman Genealogy. History of Exeter, N.H. and Eng. v. records. b) Gen. of Conn. Cutter. 1911. pg. 1350.
- [S8]. Genealogical Dictionary of New England. Savage. pg. 257.
- [S9]. Descendants of Deacon John LEAVITT. Lon Mason. http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hazlett/Leavitt/LeavittDesc.html
HOW ARE WE RELATED
John Leavitt (1608-1691) and Sarah Gilman
Moses Leavitt (1650-1730) and Dorothy Dudley
Joseph Leavitt (1699-1792) and Mary Wadleigh
Nathaniel Leavitt (1727-1824) and Lydia Sanborn
Jeremiah Leavitt (1760-1806) and Sarah Shannon
Jeremiah Leavitt (1796-1846) and Sarah Sturdevant
Sarah Priscilla Leavitt (1841-1927) and Jacob Vernon Hamblin
Ella Ann Hamblin and Warren Moroni Tenney
Clive Vernon Tenney and Minnie Williams
Mildred Ella Tenney and Glenn Russell Handy
Deborah Lee Handy and Rodney Allen Morris