HOME ~ Contact us
Elkenah Hamblin and (1) Abigail Hamblin
(Elkenah-S7) (Elkanah-S9,S10,S11,S12,S17) (HAMBLIN-S6) (HAMBLEN-S9,S11,S12)(HAMLIN-S4, S12). [PC T3], [CHART A1].
Born 16 March (about 1685)(1685-S11)(1683-1684-S12) at Barnstable, Barnstable County, Massachusetts; son of James HAMBLIN, Jr. and Mary DUNHAM. (S5). He was christened on 16 March (1683-1684-S17)(1685-S6) at Barnstable, Barnstable County, Massachusetts. (S5, S6, S8).
His father is said to have lived at Hamblinís Plain in West Barnstable, so that is probably where Elkenah was born and grew up.
He married (1) Abigail Hamblin on 13 April 1711 in Barnstable, Barnstable County, Massachusetts; the service was performed by Justice Gorham. (S4, S6).
His wife Abigail died in 1733.
He married (2) Margaret BATES of Plymouth (S6), on 11 August 1734. (S6).
His will was dated 26 March 1754. (S6). He died in 1764 at Barnstable, Barnstable County, Massachusetts. (S5, S6, S11, S12).
Abigail HAMBLIN. (HAMBLIN-S6, S7)(HAMLIN-S4). [Ancestors].
Born (23)(24-S11) (25-S10) April 1685 at Barnstable, Barnstable County, Massachusetts; daughter of John HAMBLIN and Sarah BEARSE. (S6).
She was married to Elkenah HAMBLIN on (13)(14-S11) April 1711 by Justice Gorham. (S3).
She died 29 May 1733 at Barnstable, Barnstable County, Massachusetts. (S3, S4, S6).
CHILDREN of Elkenah HAMBLIN and Abigail HAMBLIN:
- Sylvanus HAMBLIN. (Hamlin-S4)(HAMBLEN-S9)(Hamblin-S6). [CHART A1], [PC T3]. Born on 20 July 1712 at Barnstable, Barnstable County, Massachusetts. (S4, S6) He married Dorcas FISH on 24 April 1740. He died before 1754.
- Reuben HAMBLIN. Born 13 MAR 1714 at Barnstable, Barnstable County, Massachusetts. (S4) He was mentioned in his uncle's will, John Hamblin, in 1734. He married 29 MAY 1939 at Barnstable, Barnstable County, Massachusetts, Hope HAMBLIN (HAMBLEN-S9), his cousin. His will was dated 22 APR 1753. He died in 1754 at Barnstable, Barnstable County, Massachusetts.
- Abigail HAMBLIN. Born (7-S6)(27-S4) OCT 1715 at Barnstable, Barnstable County, Massachusetts.
- John HAMBLIN. Born 2 NOV 1717 at Barnstable, Barnstable County, Massachusetts. (S4, S6). He married Jerusha HAMBLIN on 23 JAN 1740. He died 8 AUG 1767.
- Rachel (Rachel-S4)(Rachell-S9)(Rachael-S6) HAMBLIN. Born 7 SEP 1720 at Barnstable, Barnstable County, Massachusetts. (S4, S6). She died in 1722 (S4, S6), probably also at Barnstable.
- Patience HAMBLIN. Born 12 JUN 1721 at Barnstable, Barnstable County, Massachusetts. (S4, S6). She married Seth FISH.
- Tabitha HAMBLIN. Born 14 APR 1723 at Barnstable, Barnstable County, Massachusetts. (S4, S6). She married John SANDERSON.
Possibly Margaret CHURCHILL, widow of Samuel BATES.(S9). She was of Plymouth, Massachusetts. (S6, S9).
Margaret Churchill, daughter of Joseph CHURCHILL and Sarah HICKS, was born in OCT 1684. Margaret CHURCHILL married Samuel BATES, who died on 6 Apr 1730 in Wareham, Plymouth County, Massachusetts. Margaret BATES married Elkanah HAMBLIN on 11 AUG 1734. (S6, S9). It is probable that they did not have children.
- [S1]. Glenn Russell Handy Family Records.
- [S2]. The Royal Ancestry of the Hamblin Family. Compiled for the Hamblin Family Association by George Merrill Roy, I.A.G. Received from Geraldine Tenney Nelson.
- [S3]. The Hamlins of New England. Written by Simon Moulton Hamlin. 1936.
- [S4]. Barnstable, Mass., Vital Records. (published in Mayflower Descendants?). Vol.4:221.
- [S5]. LDS Archives. Submitted by Lorena Mangum Farley, Box 14, Salem, Utah. Taken from The Hamblin
- [S6]. Research Records of Daphne Lewis, maiden name Hamblin, of Ramah McKinley Co., New Mexico.
- [S7]. New England Families Genealogical and Memorial. William Richard Cutter. 1914. New York:Lewis Historical Publishing Co. Vol.1:1563. [Copy page 1562].
- [S8]. Family Tree of Isaiah Hamblin. http://www.geocities.com/hamblinancestors/Isaiahhamblintree.html
- [S9]. Research of Eugene Hubbard and Bill Churchill. Rootsweb.com. Message board. http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/CHURCHILL/2003-05/1052591499. QUOTES as sources: a) A Genealogical Dictionary of The First Settlers of New England" by James Savage, p. 387. b) Davis, in his Genealogical Register of Plymouth Families, on. p. 57. c) Rootsweb.com. http://worldconnect.genealogy.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=:1454661&id=I4159. d) Mayflower Descendant 5:54-5 listing Samuel Bates' and Margaret's children. (Job, the last of 5 listed , was born in 1721.)
- [S10]. Index of Hamblen/Hamblin/Hamlin surname. G. Robert Anderson. 1997. http://home.earthlink.net/~anderson207/HamlinIndex.html.
- [S11]. http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Bluffs/9773/i0000113.htm
- [S12]. http://www.nilesd.us/Gene/wc01/wc01_166.htm
- [S13]. http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~abramsc/Davison_new/fam00057.htm
- [S14]. www.angelfire.com/or/aleonc/out55.html [recheck this one]
- [S15]. http://longislandgenealogy.com/vandegrift/fam00586.htm
- [S16]. Franklin Andrews, Hamilin Family a Genealogy of James Hamlin of Barnstable, Massachusetts, Author (1902), NY G and B, GH 1815.
- [S17]. Otis, Amos, Genealogical Notes of Barnstable Families, (1979) Genealogical Publish Co., Inc., Baltimore, Tracy Ashley Crocker, 1137, Vol I & II.
- [S18]. http://www.arq.net/~ljacobs/Jac/d0000/g0000097.html and
- [S1]. http://www.arq.net/~ljacobs/Jac/d0000/g0000041.html#I1475
HOW ARE WE RELATED:
Elkenah Hamblin (1685-1764) and Abigail Hamblin (1685-1733)
Sylvanus Hamblin (1712-c1753) and Dorcas Fish (c1716-?)
Barnabus Hamblin (1739-1799) and Mary Bassett (1745-c1810)
Isaiah Hamblin (1790-1856) and Daphne Haynes (1797-1847)
Jacob Vernon Hamblin (1819-1886) and Sarah Priscilla Leavitt (1841-1927)
Ella Ann Hamblin (1867-1947) and Warren Moroni Tenney (1861-1935)
Clive Vernon Tenney (1895-1960) and Minnie Williams (1896-1981)
Mildred Ella Tenney (1920-1982) and Glenn Russell Handy (1912-1999)
Deborah Lee Handy (living) and Rod Morris (living)