Home ~ Contact us
Barnabus Hamblin and Mary Bassett
Barnabus HAMBLIN. [PC T3], [CHART A1].
Born (in 1739-S10,S13)(about 1739-S10), (probably in Barnstable)(in Barnstable-S10), Massachusetts; son of Sylvanus HAMBLIN and Dorcas FISH. He was christened on 26 April 1747in Barnstable, Barnstable County, Massachusetts (S9,S17).
He married Mary BASSETT on 23 November 1769 (S10,S16) in Falmouth, Barnstable County, Massachusetts. (S16).
A Barnabas Hamblin fought in the Revolution (Rockwell, p.161). (S11). To which family he belonged though is uncertain.
He was said to have been a sea captain.
Barnabas was in the 1790 Census of Falmouth, Massachusetts, with himself and one male over the age of 16, with 4 male children under the age of 16, and with 4 female members of the household. (S15).
The children were all born in the Barnstable-Falmouth area in Massachusetts, so presumably the family was there at least until 1793.
Barnabas and family moved to Vermont in the mid 1790's. (S14). In hopes of recovering his health, he moved and settled somewhere in Vermont, where he raised a large family. (S?).
He died 10 May (1797-S8)(1799-S9,S13, S17) at Montpelier, Washington County, Vermont.
Born on (20 MAR 1745-S9,S17).)(26 August 1753-S10)(1758-S?) at (Sandwich-S9,S10, S17)(Barnstable)(of Barnstable-S13), Barnstable County, Massachusetts; daughter of Jonathan BASSETT and Mary FREEMAN.
Source 12 says Mary Bassett is the daughter of William BASSETT and Margaret MERRIFIELD, who were married 18 May 1740 in Barnstable, Massachusetts. I do not see sufficient evidence to prove that this is the correct Mary Bassett.
Mary Bassett married Barnabas Hamblin on 23 November 1769 in Falmouth, Barnstable County, Massachusetts. (S16).
The journal of grandson Jacob Hamblin speaks of Mary Bassett, in which he said Granfather hamblin maried mary Basset. This basset married a goodspeed, decendent of the Goodspeeds that came over in the ship Mayflower. (S12)
So far, I have not found this connection to the Goodspeed family. Also, the Goodspeed family did not arrive on the Mayflower, but arrived shortly afterwards.
A second possibility is that Mary was married to a Goodspeed later, after the death of Barnabus in 1799. This would mean that the marriage to a Goodspeed was in Vermont, probably on Grand Isle. There were indeed Goodspeeds in Vermont at the time, so this is a possibility. For a study of the Goodspeed family see GOODSPEED FAMILY STUDY
However, there is a greater question. There is a Mary Bassett. daughter of Jonathan Bassett and Mary, who is apparently a different person than our ancestor Mary Bassett. This Mary Bassett was buried at the Sandwich Old Burying Ground, Sandwich, Barnstable County, Massachusetts. (S6,S19). A photo of the gravestone (S19) of this Mary shows that it states: In Memory of Ms Mary Bassett Daughter of Mr. Jonathan Bassett and Mrs Mary Bassett who died August 2d, 1772 in the 19th Year of her Age. This shows that this was the Mary Bassett who was born in 1753. The larger question is that of who is this Jonathan Bassett and wife Mary. Was there another Jonathan Basset and wife Mary in the Barnstable area?
Our family records say that Mary, our ancestor, died on Grand Isle, Grand Isle County, Vermont (S16, S17), though no date is given. It has been said (S20) that she died in 1810. My guess to this point has been that after the death of her husband, she moved from Montpelier to Grand Isle to be with one of their children, possibly Isaiah. However, I now consider a marriage to a Goodspeed to be a possibility, which is where we need to look to find a possible death date of a Mary Goodspeed on Grand Isle or the vacinity.
CHILDREN of Barnabus HAMBLIN and Mary BASSETT:
- Sylvanus HAMBLIN. Born about 1774 in Barnstable, Barnstable County, Massachusetts. He married Jane HATCH on 17 January 1793. He died on 3 March 1843.
- Sally HAMBLIN. Born about 1779 at Falmouth, Barnstable County, Massachusetts. She was the third wife of Andrew HAZEN. Andrew Hazen settled in North Hero, Grand Isle Co., Vt., where the Census of 1790 gives him a family of two females, which seems to indicate that he had a daughter born before any on record. He was in the Battle of Plattsburg. He returned to Franklin, Conn., and later emigrated to Pennsylvania. They were in Conneaut, Pennsylvania in 1818. They settled in Munson, Ohio, in 1820 with seven children [History of Geauga County] She died in 1854 in Munson, Geauga County, Ohio.
- Barnabas HAMBLIN. Born 19 February 1782 at Barnstable, Barnstable County, Massachusetts. Barnabas Hamblin and his brother Asa also went to Munson in 1819. He married (1) Olive HAZEN on 7 MAY 1835 in Chardon, Ohio. He married (2) Jerusha HAZEN on 5 DEC 1857 in Chardon, Ohio. He married (3) Sarah SIMONS on 18 FEB 1812 in Grand Isle, Vermont. He died 7 NOV 1870 at Fowler’s Mill, Munson Township, Geauga County, Ohio.
- Asa HAMBLIN. Born in 1785 at Falmouth, Barnstable County, Massachusetts. Barnabas Hamblin and his brother Asa also went to Munson in 1819. He died in 1835.
- Polly HAMBLIN. Born about 1786 at Falmouth, Barnstable County, Massachusetts. She married Solomon LOMBARD.
- Rachel HAMBLIN. Born in 1788 at Falmouth, Barnstable County, Massachusetts. She married Robert STEPHENSON about 1809 at Falmouth, Barnstable County, Massachusetts. She died in 1844 in Geneva, Wisconsin.
- William HAMBLIN. Born about 1789 at Falmouth, Barnstable County, Massachusetts.
- Isaiah HAMBLIN. [CHART A1]. Born 20 June 1790 at Falmouth, Barnstable County, Massachusetts. He married (1) Daphne HAYNES on 30 November 1812 at North Hero, Grand Isle, Vermont. He married (2) Lydia EMORY (EMERY). He died on 7 October 1857 at Santa Clara, Washington County, Utah.
- Larana (Lurana) HAMBLIN. Born in 1793 at Falmouth, Barnstable County, Massachusetts. She married Jeremiah WHEELER.
- [S1]. Glenn Russell Handy Family Records.
- [S2]. Falmouth Vital Records.
- [S3]. Isaiah Hamblin History. (author unknown). Received from Geraldine Nelson, JAN 1995.
- [S4]. The Royal Ancestry of the Hamblin Family. Compiled for the Hamblin Family Association by George Merrill Roy, I.A.G. Received from Geraldine Tenney Nelson.
- [S5]. Autobiography of Jacob Hamblin. Preface by Lyman L. Hamblin. typescript. BYU-S.
- [S6]. Sandwich Old Burying Ground 1750 – 1779. http://www.capecodgravestones.com/sandwich2.html
- [S7]. http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/c/o/l/Wade-Collier-MA/FILE/0014text.txt?Welcome=1067252247
- [S8]. http://users.lasvegas.net/~wmpl/H_Isaiah%20Hamblin.htm
- [S9]. Genealogy and Family Tree of Lurana HAMBLIN. http://ldsliving.ldsroots.com/ancestry/Lurana_HAMBLIN~i510274180.htm
- [S10]. Descendants of William Bassett, Through 10 Generations. http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/c/o/l/Wade-Collier-MA/FILE/0014text.txt?Welcome=1067614702.
- [S11]. Descendants of Richard Sears. http://www.searsr.com/richard1/pafg09.htm
- [S12]. Email from Joel Hamblin dated 28 OCT 2003. and Email from Joel Hamblin dated 3 NOV 2003.
- [S13]. Genealogy and Family Tree of Lurana HAMBLIN. http://ldsliving.ldsroots.com/ancestry/Lurana_HAMBLIN~i512359178.htm
- [S14]. HISTORY OF EDWIN HAMBLIN. http://www.geocities.com/hamblinancestors/edwinhamblin.html
- [S15]. Falmouth, Barnstable, County, MA 1790 Census. Pg 16. http://www.rays-place.com/census/falmouth.htm.
- [S16]. Descendants of William Bassett, Through 10 Generations. http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/c/o/l/Wade-Collier-MA/FILE/0014text.txt.
- [S17]. My Family Tree Harper-Brown-Sotomayor and more. Ancestry.co.uk. http://awt.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=REG&db=chicadeoro&id=I11606&ti=5538.
- [S18]. My Hinckley Tree. RootsWeb.com. email@example.com. http://wc.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=AHN&db=hinckleytree&id=I06354.
- [S19]. Mary Bassett. Find A Grave. http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSmcid=47064954&GRid=37620439&df=p&.
- [S20]. Mary Bassett. Ancestry. http://www.ancestry.com/genealogy/records/mary-bassett_22767204
HOW ARE WE RELATED:
Barnabus Hamblin. He married Mary Bassett.
Isaiah Hamblin. He married Daphne Haynes.
Jacob Vernon Hamblin md Sarah Priscilla Leavitt.
Ella Ann Hamblin md Warren Moroni Tenney.
Clive Vernon Tenney md Minnie Williams
Mildred Ella Tenney = Glenn Russell Handy
Deborah Lee Handy and Rodney Allen Morris