Sent: Sunday, July 06, 2003 10:57 AM
Subject: Bedford Dudleys
> I was pleased to find your website. Since you said on the site to email you if related to ANY Dudleys in Bedford, I ventured to try. I am trying to find information on Roger Dudley who married Susanna THORNE [F15113] on 8 JUN 1575 at Lidlington, Bedford, England. In fact, this marriage record in Bedford is the only solid thing I can find about Roger. That makes me think that the next step would be to investigate further in Bedford. Do you have any suggestions. I know many better researchers than I have tackled this same problem, but this is my attempt. I am inclosing what I have below so you will know what state my research is in and where I am stuck.
From: GARY DUDLEY [firstname.lastname@example.org]
Sent: Monday, July 14, 2003 4:35 AM
To: Morris, Rod MR. COR
Subject: Re: Bedford Dudleys
Capt Dudley's marriage to Susan is the ONLY reference in Bedford there is. It is supposed by some that Capt was hiding (for whatever reason..there are many) in Bedford. There is no death date recorded there, and no other records currently exist.
Sorry I could not be of more help.
Susanna Thorne. (Susanna-S1)(Susan-S1)(Susannah-S3). (DORNE). [Ancestors].
Born (christened?) (5 March 1559-1560-S1,S11)(before 1560-S2)) in Yardley-Hastings, Northhamptonshire, England; daughter of Thomas THORNE and Mary PUREFOY. Christened 5 March 1559 at Yardley Hastings, Northamptonshire, England.(S11).
She married Roger DUDLEY on 8 June 1575 at Lidlington, Bedfordshire, England.
The will of Thomas Dorne of Yardley Hastings, Gent., dated 29 October 1588, bequeathed "to the children of Susan Dudley, my Daughter, widow, L10 to be equally divided". This tells us that Susanna died after 29 October 1588. (S12).
CHILDREN of Roger DUDLEY and Susanna THORNE:
- Thomas Dudley. [Ancestors]. Born (christened?) 12 OCT 1575-1576 in Yardley-Hastings, Northampton, England. Cotton Mather also stated that Thomas Dudley was aided in obtaining his education by Mrs. Purefoy (sister-in-law of John Purefoy) "a gentlewoman famed in the parts about Northampton for wisdom, piety and works of charity". (S1). Thomas died (buried?) 31 JUL 1653 in Roxbury, Suffolk County, Massachusetts. He married (1) Dorothy YORKE. He married (2) Catherine DEIGHTON.
- Mary DUDLEY. Christened on 16 OCT 1580 at Yardley Hastings/at St. Dunstan’s W., London, England.(S9) ("daughter of Mr. Dudley"). (sister of Thomas?). (born before 16 Oct 1580 in St. Dunstan's W., London, England and was christened 16 October 1580 in St. Dunston's, London, , England-S11) She died after 1586 in England.
- Richard DUDLEY. Born about 1583 at St. Dunston’s, London, England (in Northampton, Northamptonshire, England-S11). He died on 20 AUG 1602-1603 in England.
- Dorothy DUDLEY. Born 21 (31-S11) MAR 1585 at St. Dunston’s, London, England.(in Northampton, Northamptonshire, England-S11). She died in England.
- [S1]. My Southern Family. 2000. Josephine Lindsay Bass and Becky Bonner. http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~mysouthernfamily/myff/d0054/g0000004.html. It quotes for sources
- a) Plantagenet Ancestry of Seventeenth-Century Colonists, by David Faris, pub by Genealogical Pub. Co. Inc. Lib of Cong. Cat. # 96-76348; copyright 1996.
- b) Ed Mann EMail: email@example.com 9/98 Contributor on soc.genealogy.medieval EMail: firstname.lastname@example.org Weis, _Ancestral_ Roots_, 7th ed.
- c) Vivian Cayton Moore, E Mail: none available. (email@example.com)-(Submitter: Cameron R. Dudley, deceased 1999. Cameron's Gedeom sent 4/25/97 Much info on this line researched by Vivian C. Moore.
- d) Gedcom Ancestry Com # .
- [S2]. http://www.adupree.com/outlines/dudout.htm
- [S3]. Posted By: Tommy Bargeron. 721 West 12th Street, Tifton, Georgia 31794. http://www.bargeron.com/genealogy/gsb/f3617.html.
- [S4]. [Check this] Plantagenet Ancestry of Seventeenth-Century Colonists, by David Faris, pub by Genealogical Pub. Co. Inc. Lib of Cong. Cat. # 96-76348; copyright 1996.
- [S5]. http://carloulton.htmlplanet.com/carl/01/T0163.HTM
- [S6]. http://www.robgear.0catch.com/grpf0117.html
- [S7]. Volume Third - Book Eighteenth. James A. Wylie. (1808-1890). http://www.whatsaiththescripture.com/Voice/History.Protestant.v3.b18.html#CHAPTER%2029
- [S8]. http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~dav4is/ODTs/DUDLEY.shtml#DUDL100
- [S9]. http://incolor.inebraska.com/rbrown/roots/people/p42.htm
- [S10]. http://incolor.inebraska.com/rbrown/roots/people/p43.htm#id867
- [S11]. Descendants of William THORNE. http://members.shaw.ca/alison.forte/surnames/thorne/aqwg03.htm#2365.
- [S12]. http/members.aol.com/dwidad/hchped.html
- [S13]. Email from GARY DUDLEY [firstname.lastname@example.org].
- [S14]. My Tudor Court. Jorge H. Castelli. http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/SUTTON.htm
- [S14]. Atkins Family History. Betty Atkins. http://atkins-history.org/genealogy/paternal-pedigrees/817.htm
HOW ARE WE RELATED:
Susanna Thorne and (Cpt) Roger Dudley
Thomas Dudley and Dorothy Yorke
Samuel Dudley and Elizabeth Smith
Dorothy Dudley and Moses Leavitt
Joseph Leavitt and Mary Wadleigh
Nathaniel Leavitt and Lydia Sanborn
Jeremiah Leavitt and Sarah Shannon
Jeremiah Leavitt and Sarah Sturdevant
Sarah Priscilla Leavitt and Jacob Vernon Hamblin
Ella Ann Hamblin and Warren Moroni Tenney
Clive Vernon Tenney and Minnie Williams
Mildred Ella Tenney and Glenn Russell Handy
Deborah Lee Handy and Rodney Allen Morris