HOME ~ Contact us
Robert Douglass and Mary Hempstead
Born in 1639 in Scotland; son of (Deacon) William Douglass and Ann Mattle. (S1).
He was one year old when his parents emigrated to America. (S1).
He was twenty-one when he removed with his parents to New London, Connecticut. (S1).
He married Mary Hempstead on 28 September 1665. (S1).
Lands were granted him in New London, and he inherited from his father. (S1).
He was a cooper by trade, learning it from his father, and in turn teaching it to his own son, William. (S1).
His name occurs frequently on both town and church records. (S1).
From 1671 he appears to have taken an especial interest in church affairs, and he served on important town committees from time to time. (S1).
He died on 15 January 1715-1716. (S1).
Daughter of Robert Hempstead of New London, Connecticut. She was the first child of English parents born in the town. Her father was one of the four inhabitants who assisted Winthrop in settling the town. (S1).
She died on 26 December 1711. (S1).
CHILDREN of Robert Douglass and Mary Hempstead:
- William Douglas. Born in New London, Connecticut. (S1). He married Hannah
- Mary Douglas. Born on 13 June 1668 in New London, Connecticut. She married George Chappell on 10 June 1703. (S1).
- Ann Douglas. Born on 25 December 1669 in New London, Connecticut. She married Jacob Waterhouse of New London about 1690. children: John, William, Robert, Joseph and Gideon Waterhouse. (S1).
- John Douglas. Born on 17 July 1671 in New London, Connecticut. He died in infancy. (S1).
- Hannah Douglas. Born on 14 May 1673 in New London, Connecticut. She married Stephen Hurlburt of New London, about 1696. children: Stephen, Freelove, Mary, Sarah, John, Captain Titus, a solider of the French and Indian wars and captain of the old fort; Joseph Hurlburt. (S1).
- Sarah Douglas. Born on 2 December 1674 in New London, Connecticut. She married Samuel Comstock of New London;, on 22 June 1699. She died on 1 April 1704. (S1).
- Elizabeth Douglas. Born on 26 April 1677 in New London, Connecticut. She married Henry Rowland of Lyme, Connecticut. (S1).
- Thomas Douglas. Born on 15 May 1679 in New London, Connecticut. He married Hannah Sperry of New Haven, Connecticut, on 25 November 1703. He held many important town offices and was a leading member of the church. He died on 3 March 1724-1725. children, all born in New London: John, Robert, Thomas, James, Daniel, Mary, Stephen, Nathan and John. (S1).
- Phoebe Douglas. Born on 20 January 1681 in New London, Connecticut. She married John Baker of New London, Connecticut, on 17 January 1703. (S1).
- Susannah Douglas. Born about 1683 in New London, Connecticut. She married Edward De Wolf of Lyme, Connecticut on 4 November 1708. (S1).
- Ruth Douglas. Born about 1685 in New London, Connecticut. She married Isaac Woodworth of Norwich, Connecticut, on 5 December 1711. (S1).
- [S1]. Douglass. NORTHERN NEW YORK. Genealogical and family history of northern New York: a record of the achievements of her people and the making of a commonwealth and the founding of a nation. New York: Lewis Historical Pub. Co. 1910. http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hubbard/NNY_index/douglass.html