HOME ~ Contact us
John Dickinson and Elizabeth
Christened on 4 DEC 1564 at Billingborough, Lincolnshire, England; son of Waters DICKERSON and Alice. (S2).
William DICKINSON and Sarah STACY are often said to be the parents of Nathaniel DICKINSON. However, it is apparent that our ancestors are of the Lincolnshire branch of the family, and not of the Cambridge branch of the family; and thus are descendants of John DICKINSON and Elizabeth. William Dickinson was born, married, and died in Ely, Cambridge, England. John was born and died in Billingborough, Lincolnshire, England. The descendants of John and Elizabeth, our ancestors, are all from Billingborough. (S?).
John was churchwarden in 1620-1621.
John married Elizabeth
John died in April 1637 at Billingborough, Lincolnshire, England; and was buried on 19 April 1637 in Billingborough, Lincolnshire, England.
Elizabeth died in Aug 1609 in Lincolnshire, England; and was buried on 30 Aug 1609 in Billingborough, Lincolnshire, England.
CHILDREN of John DICKINSON and Elizabeth:
- John DICKINSON. Christened on 17 MAR 1598-1599 at Billingborough, Lincolnshire, England.
- Nathaniel DICKINSON. Christened on 3 MAY 1601 at Billingborough, Lincolnshire, England. He married Anna, widow of John GULL, on 27 November 1623 at Billingborough, Lincolnshire, England. (This marriage has been reported as having occurred at East Bergholt, Suffolk, England but, according to Stott, record of this marriage is not found in the records of East Bergholt as they begin in 1653 and the bishop's transcripts begin in 1685.) The mother of John GULL was Elizabeth DICKINSON, daughter of Thomas DICKINSON and Annis TINGLE. Nathaniel died on 16 June 1676 at Hadley, Hampshire County, Massachusetts; and was buried in the Old Hadley Cemetary, Hadley, Hampshire County, Massachusetts.
- Joseph DICKINSON. Christened on 7 September 1606 at Billingborough, Lincolnshire, England.
- Elizabeth DICKINSON. She died in May 1610 in Lincolnshire, England; and was buried on 5 MAY 1610 in Billingborough, Lincolnshire, England.
- [S1]. Pane-Joyce Genealogy. http://babbage.clarku.edu/~djoyce/gen/report/rr02/rr02_450.html. and http://aleph0.clarku.edu/~djoyce/gen/report/rr06/rr06_005.html and http://aleph0.clarku.edu/~djoyce/gen/report/rr02/rr02_482.html . QUOTES as sources: 1) Clifford L. Stott, "The correct English origins of Nathaniel Dickinson and William Gull, settlers of Wethersfield and Hadley," New Eng. Hist. Gen. Reg., 152 (1998): 159-178. 2) L. M. Boltwood, Genealogies of Hadley Families, Metcalf & Co., Northampton, 1862. 3) Donald Lines Jacobus and Edgar Francis Waterman, Hale, House and Related Families Mainly of the Connecticut River Valley, Connecticut Historical Society, Hartford, 1952. 4) Genealogies and Biographies of Ancient Wethersfield.
- [S2]. Dickinson Family. Cathi's Genealogy Page. The Clore family and other ancestors of Cathi Clore and Bob Frost. http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Plains/4803/Dcknsn.htm. QUOTES as sources:
- Descendants of Nathaniel Dickinson by Elinor V. Smith, Dickinson Family Association, 1978
- Dickinson Family Association 1994 Annual Report
- 1900 Census, LaSalle Co., IL, Dist. 89, Sheet 6
- Interview with Alice Lowers Clore by Cathleen Clore Frost, supplemented with notes
- Seventeenth Century Colonial Ancestors of Members of the National Society Colonial Dames XVII Century 1915-1975 by Mary Louise M. Hutton,Genealogical Publishing Co., Baltimore, MD, 1991
- New England Marriages Prior to 1700 by Clarence Almon Torrey, Genealogical Publishing Co., Baltimore, MD, 1985
- Genealogical Register of the First Settlers of New England by John Farmer, Genealogical Publishing Co., Baltimore, MD, 1994
- History of Hadley, Massachusetts by Sylvester Judd, Picton Press, Camden, ME, 1993 ed (including Family Genealogies by Lucius M. Boltwood)
- To the Descendants of Thomas Dickinson, son of Nathaniel Dickinson and Anna Gull Dickinson of Wethersfield, Connecticut and Hadley, Massachusetts by Frederick Dickinson, 1897
- Obituary of Mino C. Lowers in the Fargo (ND) Forum, 2 November 1989
- Obituary of Orville P. Haisley
- Dickinson Cemetery Tour by Joanne and William Wheeler, Dickinson Family Association, 1995
- The Zenas and Nellie Dickinson Story by Zenas Clark Dickinson et.al., Privately Printed, 1970
- Cemetery visitation, Old Hadley Cemetery, Hadley, MA by Cathleen Clore Frost, April 1996
- Cemetery visitation, West (Old) Cemetery, Granby, MA by Cathleen Clore Frost, April 1996
- Obituary of Amy Dickinson Worthley
- The Correct English Origins of Nathaniel Dickinson and William Gull, Settlers of Wethersfield and Hadley. by Cifford L. Stott in the New England Historical and Genealogical Register, April 1998, p 162-174. (The lastest research, a must read as it disproves previously published ancestry).
- E-mail correspondence from Phil Burnett , 15 July 1999, Re: Jonathan Burnet Family.
- History of Ancient Wethersfield, Connecticut, Volume 2 - Genealogies and Biographies by Henry R. Stiles, Grafton Press, New York 1904.
- [S3]. Robert L. Ward's Pedigree Charts. http://users.erols.com/rlward1/charts/chart574.html