HOME ~ Contact us
Richard de Camville and Eustacia Basset
Richard de Camville.
Son Richard de Camville and Millicent de Rethel. (S1).
Son Gerard de Camville and Nichola de la Haye. (S2).
Richard de Camville was an English crusader knight, and one of Richard the Lionheart's senior commanders during the Third Crusade. In June 1190, at Chinon, he was, with 3 others, put in charge of King Richard's fleet sailing for the Holy Land.(S1).
In 1191 he was appointed governor of Cyprus, jointly with Robert of Thornham. (S1).
He died later in the same year of 1191 at the Siege of Acre.(S1).
In England, his holdings included land at Stanton Harcourt, Oxfordshire, Blackland, Wiltshire, and Speen (possibly posthumously) and Avington, both in Berkshire. (S1).
Eustacia Basset. [Our Basset Ancestors]. [Familytree].
Born about 1203, daughter of (Sir) Gilbert Basset and Egelina de Courtenay. (S2).
CHILDREN of Richard de Camville
- Gerard de Camville. (S1).
- Matilda, wife of William de Ros. (S1).
- Idonea de Camville. [Chart A39]. Born about 1210 at Brattleby, Lincolnshire, England. She died 1 January 1251-1252. She md Sir William II Longespee, Earl of Salisbury, in June 1226. (S2).
- [S1]. Richard de Camville. Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_de_Camville. Accessed 20151205. QUOTES as sources:
- Setton, Kenneth Meyer; Wolff, Robert Lee; Hazard, Harry W (2006). The Later Crusades, 1189-1311. A History of the Crusades II (2nd ed.). University of Wisconsin Press. pp. 56, 64. ISBN 978-0-299-04844-0. Retrieved 11 December 2009.
- Rigg, James McMullen (1886). "Camville, Gerard de". In Stephen, Leslie. Dictionary of National Biography 8. London: Smith, Elder & Co. p. 408.
- Crowley, D A, ed. (2002). "Calne". A History of the County of Wiltshire. Victoria County History 17. pp. 17–27. Retrieved 12 November 2009.
- Crossley, Alan; Elrington, C R, eds. (1990). "Wootton Hundred (South) including Woodstock". A History of the County of Oxford. Victoria County History 12. pp. 274–281. Retrieved 12 November 2009.
- Page, Willam; Ditchfield, P H, eds. (1924). "Parishes: Speen". A History of the County of Berkshire. Victoria County History 4. pp. 97–110. Retrieved 12 November 2009.
- Page, Willam; Ditchfield, P H, eds. (1924). "Parishes: Avington". A History of the County of Berkshire. Victoria County History 4. pp. 158–162. Retrieved 12 November 2009.
- [S2]. Camville. http://www.geneajourney.com/camvil.html