HOME ~ Contact us
Sir Thomas Boyd of Kilmarnock and Isabell
Sir Thomas Boyd. [BOYD Family Chart].
Born about 1405, of Kilmarnock, Ayrshire, Scotland; son of Thomas Boyd and Joanna Montgomery.
He married Isabell about 1424. (S2).
One of the first acts of King James I. on his return to Scotland was to order the arrest of Sir Walter Stewart, eldest son of the Regent, Malcom Fleming of Cumbernauld, and Thomas Boyd, younger of Kilmarnock, 13 May 1424, on the charge of having wasted the Crown rents. Boyd was confined at Dalkeith, and shortly afterwards released on paying certain fines to the royal Exchequer. (S2).
Thomas Boyd IV succeeded to the Kilmarnock Estates, but was only to hold them for seven years. (S2).
He occurs as Baille of Duchael 16 July 1437. (S2).
In 1439 from Dena Castle, he picked an argument with the Stewarts of Darnley, and killed Sir Alan Stuart (of Gartullie)(of Darnley) at Polmaise Thorn, between Falkirk and Linlithgow. In revenge, Thomas was killed on 9 July 1439 by Alexander Stewart, brother of Sir Alan, at Craighaught Hill, Renfrewshire, Scotland. (S2).
Isabell (Isobel). (Lyle-S2).
It is recorded that his wife collapsed and died on seeing his body being carried back into Dean Castle. (S2).
CHILDREN of Sir Thomas Boyd of Kilmarnock and Isabell :
- Robert Boyd. [BOYD Family Chart]. 1st Lord Boyd of Kilmarnock. Born (about 1415-S1)(in 1425-S2) at Kilmarnock, Renfrew, Scotland. He married Mariot Maxwell. He died (on 1 April 1480-S2)(in 1482-S1 at Alnwick, Northumberland, England.
- Alexander Boyd b: ABT 1427 in Kilmarnock, Renfrew, Scotland
- Marion Janet Boyd b: ABT 1429 in Kilmarnock, Renfrew, Scotland
- Margaret Boyd b: ABT 1407 in Of, Kilmarnock, Renfrewshire, Scotland
- [S1]. Robert Boyd, 1st Lord Boyd. Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Boyd,_1st_Lord_Boyd.
- [S2]. Thomas Boyd. Michael Brian Stock. http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/s/t/o/Michael-Brian-Stock/WEBSITE-0001/UHP-0467.html.
HOW ARE WE RELATED:
Thomas Boyd, 5th Baron of Kilmarnock (c1405-1439) md Isabell
Robert Boyd, 1st Lord Boyd of Kilmarnock (c1415-1482) md Mariot Maxwell
Alexander Boyd, 3rd Baron of Boyd (1452-1508) md Janet Colville
Robert Boyd (?-1557) md Helen Somerville Margaret Boyd md George Colquhoun
Robert Boyd (c1517-1590). ---- md ---- Margaret (Mariot) Colquhoun (c1525-1601)
Agnes BOYD (1523-1574). md John Colquhoun, Lord of Luss (c1523-1574)
Alexander Colquhoun (1573-1636) md Margaret Helen Buchanan
John Colquhoun (1632-?) md Katherine Graham (miss Montrose)
William Cahoon (Colquhoun) (1635-1675) md Deliverance Peck
Joseph Cahoon (1665-c 1710) md Elizabeth Scranton
Ebenezer Cahoon (1706-?) md Mary Reynolds (step sister of Reynolds Cahoon)
William Cahoone (1733-1813) md Elizabeth Vaughan
William Cahoon (1765-1828) md Mary Smith
Mary Cahoon (1810-?) md David Elliott
Peter Mack Elliott (1833-1885) md Charlotte Alvord
Harriett Louisa Elliott (1860-1902) md James Newberry Morris
Eli Ray Morris (1892-1980) md Tina Matilda Kunzler
LeGrand Elliott Morris (1916-2005) md Dorothea Berta Ernestine Kersten
Rodney Allen Morris and Deborah Lee Handy