HOME ~ Contact us
John Blackman and Jemima Hurlburt
John BLACKMAN. [PC M2]
Born in October 1677 at Stratford, Fairfield County, Connecticut; son of Joseph BLACKMAN and Hannah HALL.
He married Jemima HURLBURT on 29 April 1701 at Stratford, Fairfield, Connecticut. (S2,S3,S9).
In 1722 his daughter, Mary, was born at Machamux (later called Green Farms), in Fairfield County, Connecticut. Machamux or Green Farms later became Wesport.
Thomas Gideon, and Elijah Hurlbut, Samuel Couch and Edrie his wife, and John Blackman and Jemima his wife, all of Fairfield, and Ebenezer Mead and Kezia his wife of Bedford, Westchester County, N.Y., conveyed land in Woodbury, calling themselves sons and daus. of Thomas Hurlbut of Woodbury, dec'd. (S9).
He died in 1732 at Fairfield, Fairfield County, Connecticut.
Jemima HURLBURT (Hollibert-S2). [PC M2]
Born 1 August 1680 at Woodbury, Fairfield County, Connecticut; daughter of Thomas HURLBURT III and Mary BROWN. (S9).
She married (1) John BLACKMAN on 29 April 1701 at Stratford, Fairfield County, Connecticut. (S2,S3,S9).
She married (2) Nathaniel WHITEHEAD. (S3).
She died on 4 FEB 1757 at Westport, Fairfield County, Connecticut.
CHILDREN of John BLACKMAN and Jemima HURLBURT:
- Mary BLACKMAN. [PC M2]. Born in October 1722 at Green Farms, Fairfield County, Connecticut. [It was then called Machamux. It wasn’t named Green Farms until 1732. Later it was called Westport.]. She married James BENEDICT on 8 MAY 1740. She died in Connecticut, but was said to be buried in Warwick.
- Jemima BLACKMAN. Born about (1718)(1733) in Stamford, Fairfield County, Connecticut. She married Jonathan STEVENS Sr. (b.21 JAN 1720-21Stamford, CT-d.28 DEC 1794 Orange Co, NY) in 1750 in Peekskill, Westchester County, New York; and was buried in Stevens Cemetery near Monroe, Orange County. New York. Jonathan Stevens will: Will of Jonathan Stevens, Liber A; Page269; Surrogates Office, Goshen Orange County, NY. Jonathan's will dated December 12, 1794 and Probated January, 14, 1795. Jonathan is in the 1790 New Cornwall, Orange Co., New York Census records, with 2 males over 16, one male under 16, and 3 females over 16. Jonathan Stevens Jr. is married and head of his own household.
- [S1]. LeGrand Elliott Morris Family Records.
- [S2]. Stratford, Fairfield Co., CT Vital Records From Barbour 1639-1854. Transcribed by Coralynn Brown. The USGenWeb Project. Fairfield County, Connecticut.
- [S3]. RootsWeb.com. http://www.rootsweb.com/~ctfairfi/pages/stratford/stratford_h.htm
- [S4]. http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Pines/9943/f_f.html#3
- [S5]. Wills and Probate Documents. Orange County, New York Genealogy and History. http://genealogytrails.com/ny/orange/wills1.html.
- [S6]. 1790 Census, Orange County, New York.
- [S7]. The Frederick Family Tree. RootsWeb. http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~frederick/lmfg12.htm.
- [S8]. OCGS Quarterly of August 1977 [ed. - page 15, left column, about 20 lines from bottom]. Query #6 (P-1) 'Jemima Blackman was the wife of Jonathan Stevens. She was (b) ca 1718 in Fairfield, Conn., dau. of John Blackman and Jemima Hurlbut. She was a sister of Mary Blackman (ca 1720), wife of Elder James Benedict, first minister of Warwick Baptist Church.' (Contributed by Morris Miles, 104 Rosell Ave., Tooele, Utah 84074)."
- [S9]. History and Genealogy of the Families of Old Fairfield. ppg 316-317.
HOW ARE WE RELATED:
John Blackman and Jemima Hurlburt
Mary Blackman and James Benedict
Jemima Benedict and John Newberry
James Newberry and Mary Smith
Hannah Maria Newberry and George Morris
James Newberry Morris and Harriett Louisa Elliott
Eli Ray Morris and Tina Matilda Kunzler
LeGrand Elliott Morris and Dorothea Berta Ernestine Kersten
Rodney Allen Morris and Deborah Lee Handy