HOME ~ Contact us
Nathaniel Bassett and Dorcas Joyce
Nathaniel BASSETT. [Our Basset Ancestors].
Born about 1628 at Plymouth, Barnstable, Massachusetts; son of William Bassett and Elizabeth Tilden [of William BASSETT and (Elizabeth TILDEN-S2)(Elizabeth NEIL-S3) Sources 2 and 3 say he was born at Yarmouth, but he didnít go to Yarmouth until later.].
On 2 March 1651-1652, Nathaniell Bassett and Joseph Prior, for disturbing the church of Duxburrou, on the Lordís day, were sentenced each of them to pay twenty shillings fine, or the next towne meeting or training day both of them to bee bound unto a post for the space of two hours, in some public place, with a paper on their heads on which theire capital crime shall be written perspecusly, soe as may bee read.
He settled first at Marshfield.
He moved to Yarmouth, where he was an inhabitant in 1664, but perhaps earlier. He was a constable at Yarmouth.
He resided near the first meetinghouse in Yarmouth.
He married (1) Dorcas JOYCE (about 1661-S1,S6)(1665) in Yarmouth, Barnstable County, Massachusetts.
Despite his youthful ways he was a very worthy and respectable citizen and had a family of ten children.
He married (2) Hannah, apparently between 1679 and 1680; and the last three children would have been Hannahs.
His will was dated 10 January 1709-1710. He died six days later, on 16 January 1709-1710 at Yarmouth, Barnstable County, Massachusetts. (S1,S2,S3,S4). He was buried on 18 January 1709-1710.
Dorcas Joyce. [PC M3-23].
Born (between 1624-1644-S1)(in 1644-S2,S3), (of Lynn-S2)(in Lynn-S3), Essex County, Massachusetts; daughter of John Joyce and Dorothy Cotchet.
She married Nthaniel Bassett about 1661.(S1).
She was buried (12 JAN 1679-S2,S5) in Yarmouth, Barnstable County, Massachusetts. (S2,S3).
CHILDREN of Nathaniel BASSETT and Dorcas Joyce:
- Mary BASSETT. (S4,S5). Born 1666. she died 29 JAN 1741-1742.
- Nathan BASSETT. (S4,S5). Born on 25 Sep (1667-S5)(1677-S4) in Yarmouth, Barnstable, MA. He was married Mary (Crow) Crowell on 7 Mar 1709/10. Shortly after marrying, Nathan settled in Monomoit which was incorporated and renamed Chatham about the time he settled there. A notation in the Proprietorsí Book of Records of Chatham describes the boundaries of the property which he bought. Although no date is given, the entry was probably made in 1714: "laid out to Nathan Bassett a parcell of land to ye westward of ye Indian Meeting House, bounded east by ye land left for ye Indian Meeting House, north by ye highway to a tree marked on four sides, with N.B. cut in it; thence sets S.W. to ye pond next Harwich then by ye pond to a range set between ye pond to ye other pond, and then by it to ye first mentioned land, allowing a highway through between ye ponds" (Josiah Paine Manuscripts, p. 84, in the possession of the New England Historical Genealogical Society). This land lies on the Chatham-Harwich boundary south of Queen Anne Road near West Harwich. The ponds mentioned are now called Mill Pond and Ministers Pond. Nathan died in 1728, as his wife Mary was appointed administratrix of his estate 27 Nov. 1728 (Barnstable County Probates, vol. 4, p. 454). The estate was not settled until after the death of Mary. Her will, dated 5 Nov. 1741 and proved 6 May 1742, lists seven children (ibid., vol. 6, p. 224). [Robert Ray King, "The Family of Nathan Bassett of Chatham," NEHGR 125:7] He died before 27 Nov 1728 in Chatham, Barnstable, MA.
- Samuel BASSETT. [Our Basset Ancestors]. Born about He married Elizabeth Jones. He died in February 1760 in East Greenwich, Kent County, Rhode Island. (S4,S5).
- Nathaniel BASSETT. (S4,S5). Born about 1671 in Yarmouth, Barnstable County, Massachusetts. He died before 1710.
- Ruth BASSETT. (S4,S5). Born about 1673 in Yarmouth, Barnstable County, Massachusetts.
- Dorcas BASSETT. (S4,S5). Born in 1676 in Yarmouth, Barnstable County, Massachusetts. She died on 10 Jun 1707.
- Hannah BASSETT. (S4,S5). Born about 1678 in Chatham, Barnstable, MA. She was married Joseph Covell on 1 Mar 1703 in Eastham, Barnstable, MA.
She died 12 November 1709 in Yarmouth, Barnstable County, Massachusetts. (S3).
CHILDREN of Nathaniel BASSETT and Dorcas Joyce:
- Joseph BASSETT. (S4,S5). Born in 1680. He died 6 JAN 1749-1750.
- Sarah BASSETT. (S4,S5). Born about 1682 in Yarmouth, Barnstable County, Massachusetts.
- William BASSETT. (S4,S5). Born about 1685. He was married to Mary Godfrey on 23 Feb 1710.
- [There may have been another daughter named Hannah. See S4.].
- [S1]. http://history.vineyard.net/allen/Web%20Cards/WC17/WC17_078.HTM
- [S2]. http://www.osmond.com/all-misc/genealogy/html/d0001/g0000008.htm
- [S3]. http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~silversmiths/14/26104.htm
- [S4]. http://www.landersgen.com/landers/d39.htm#P2946
- [S5]. http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~lgillins/euzell2/aqwg19.htm#585
- [S6]. http://members.tripod.com/~rturnblo/d0003/g0000052.html