HOME ~ Contact us
AHAZ, King of Judah, and Abijah
AHAZ. (has held)(an abbreviation of Jehoahaz, God has held). [Ancestors].
Son of JOTHAM.
Ahaz was king of Judah, and the son and successor of Jotham. He took the throne at the age of twenty (2 Kings 16:2). William F. Albright has dated his reign to 735 – 715 BC, while Edwin Thiele dates the beginning of his coregency with Jotham in 736/735 BC, with his sole reign beginning in 732/731 and ending in 716/715 BC. His reign is described in 2 Kings 16; Isaiah 7-9; and 2 Chronicles 28. He is one the kings mentioned in the genealogy of Jesus in the Gospel of Matthew.
He is said to have given himself up to a life of wickedness, introducing many pagan and idolatrous customs (Isa. 8:19; 38:8; 2 Kings 23:12). Perhaps his wickedest deed was sacrificing his own son, likely to Rimmon; he also added an idolatrous altar into the Temple (II Kings 16). He ignored the remonstrances and warnings of the prophets Isaiah, Hosea, and Micah, and appealed to Tiglath-Pileser III, the king of Assyria, for help against Rezin, king of Aram, and Pekah, Prince of Israel, who threatened Jerusalem. This brought a great injury to his kingdom, and his own humiliating subjection to the Assyrians (2 Kings 16:7, 9; 15:29).
He died at the age of 36 after reigning 16 years (2 Chronicles 28:1), and was succeeded by his son Hezekiah. Because of his wickedness he was "not brought into the sepulchre of the kings" (2 Chronicles 28:27). An insight into Ahaz's neglect of the worship of the Lord is found in the statement that on the first day of the month of Nisan that followed Ahaz's death, his son Hezekiah commissioned the priests and Levites to open and repair the doors of the Temple and to remove the defilements of the sanctuary, a task which took 16 days (2 Chronicles 29:3-20).
The calendars for reckoning the years of kings in Judah and Israel were offset by six months, that of Judah starting in Tishri (in the fall) and that of Israel in Nisan (in the spring). Cross-synchronizations between the two kingdoms therefore often allow narrowing of the beginning and/or ending dates of a king to within a six-month range. For Ahaz, the Scriptural data allow dating the beginning of his coregency with Jotham to some time in the six-month interval beginning of Nisan 1 of 735 BC. By the Judean calendar that started the regnal year in Tishri (a fall month), this could be written as 736/735, or more simply 736 BC. His father was removed from responsibility by the pro-Assyrian faction at some time in the year that started in Tishri of 732 BC. He died some time between Tishri 1 of 716 BC and Nisan 1 of 715 BC, i.e. in 716/715, or more simply 716 BC.
Rodger Young offers a possible explanation of why four extra years are assigned to Jotham in 2 Kings 15:30 and why Ahaz's 16 years of reign (2 Kings 16:2) are measured from the time of Jotham's death in 732/731 instead of when Jotham was deposed in 736/735. Taking into account the factionalism of the time, Young writes:
Any record such as 2 Kings 16:2 that recognized these last four years for Jotham must have come from the annals of the anti-Assyrian and anti-Ahaz court that prevailed after the death of Ahaz. Ahaz is given sixteen years in these annals, measuring from the start of his sole reign, instead of the twenty or twenty-one years that he would be credited with if the counting started from 736t [i.e. 736/735 BC], when he deposed Jotham.
CHILDREN of Ahaz and Abijah:
- HEZEKIAH, King of Judah. [Ancestors].
- [S1]. Ahaz. Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahaz.
HOW ARE WE RELATED:
- Ahaz, King of Judah md. Abijah
- Hezekiah, King of Judah md. Hephzibah
- Manasseh, King of Judah md. Meshullemeth
- AMON, King of Judah md. Jedidiah
- JOSIAH, King of Judah md. Hammutal
- ZEDEKIAH, King of Judah
- TAMA TEPHI married OILIALLA. (Eochaid I), King of Ireland.
- GIALLCHADH, the 37th King of Ireland, 561BC-552BC.
- NUADH (Nuadhas Fionnfail), the 39th King of Ireland, 540BC-527BC.
- Aedan Glas. (Aodhan Glas). The Annals of the Four Masters does not list Aedan Glas as a ruler, which has created confusion in some lists.
- Simon Breac. (Siomon Breac), the 44th King of Ireland, 483BC-477BC.
- MUIREADHACH (Muirteadach Boigrach), the 46th King of Ireland, 469BC-468BC.
- FAICHAGH (Fiachadh Toigrach), the 55th King of Ireland, about 407BC.
- DUACH (Duach Laidhrach), the 59th King of Ireland, 381BC-371BC.
- EOCHAIDH (Eochaidh Buailgllerg)(Eochaidh Buadhach).
- UGAINE MOR, the Great, the 66th King of Ireland, 330BC-300BC.
- Cobhthach Coalbreag (Cobhthach Cael Breagh), the 69th King of Ireland, 284BC-267BC.
- Meilage Aminadab (Mellage, Melg Molbhthach, Melghe Molbhthach), the 71st King of Ireland, 253BC-241BC.
- JURAN Gleofathach (Jaran, Iarn, Irereo), the 74th King of Ireland, 228BC-222BC.
- Conla Cruaidh Cealgach (Connla Caemh), the 76th King of Ireland, 215BC-211BC.
- OILIALLA Caisfhaiclach. 77th King of Ireland, 211BC-186BC.
- EOCHAIDH Foitleathan (Eochaidh Ailtleathan). 79th King of Ireland, 181BC-174BC.
- Aengus Tuirheach Teamhrach. (Angus II)(Oengus). 81st High King of Ireland, 162BC-130BC. md Magach ingen Fergusa.
- Fiachu Fer Mara mac Aengusa.
- Ailill Erann mac Fiachach.
- Fearadhach mac Ailella. md Urlachan.
- Fergus mac Feradaig, King of Caledonia.
- Maine Mor mac Fergusa, King of Caledonia
- Airndil Dornaidel Nimrod mac Maine, King of Caledonia.
- Rothrer mac Airndil. King of Caledonia.
- Trer mac Rotherer.
- Roshin mac Trer Ui Eremoin.
- Suin Mac Rosin. King of Dalriada.
- Dedad Deagha mac Suin.
- Ivar Mór Ottangus mac Deadha. md Sinusa.
- Ailill Anglonnach Aulomm. md Maedhb ingen Echdach.
- Eogan Eoghan Ottaongus MacAilell. md Muncha ingen Dil o Crecraighe.
- Eterscél Mór mac Eoghan. King of Ireland. md Mess Buachalla ingen Echach
- Conaire I Mor mac Etersceoil .
- Cairpre Finn Mor mac Conaire ui Eremoin. (20AD-71AD).
- Daire Dorn Mor mac Cairpre. King of Caledonia.
- Coirpre Cromcheann mac Daire. King of Caledonia. (c55AD-103AD).
- Luctacus mac Caibre. (Lugaid Allathach). King of Caledonia. (c78AD-109AD).
- Mogh Lamha Lamha mac Lugdach. King of Scotland. (c110AD-?). md Eithne.
- Conaire Caem mac Modh Lamha. (c125AD-165AD). Established Kingdom of Dalriada, Ireland. Md Saraid ingen Cuinn Ceadcatha
- Eochaid Cairbre Riata mac Conaire. (c148AD-186AD). King of Dál Riata, Ireland. Md Morgan Finn NicFideach Ohailill
- Fiachra Cathmail mac Echach. (c175AD-252AD). of Dalriada, Ireland.
- Eochaid Antoit mac Fiachrach. (203AD-272AD). King of Dalriata.
- Achir Cirre mac Echach. (c231AD-294AD). King of Dalriada Ireland
- Finn Fiacc mac Achir. (249AD-303AD). King of Dalriada Ireland.
- Cruitluithe mac Finn. (c270AD-317AD). King od Dalriada Ireland.
- Senchormac Fincormach mac Cruithluithe. (c280AD-338AD). King of Dalriada Ireland.
- Fedelmid Ruamach mac Senchormac. (c304AD-?). King of Dalriada Ireland.
- Aengus Buiding mac Feideilmid. King of Dalriada Ireland.
- Fedelmid Aislingich Fedlimid Aisling. King of Dalriada, Ireland
- Aengus Fert mac Feideilmid.. King of Dalriada, Ireland
- Eochaid Muinremuir mac Oengus. King of Dalriada Ireland. (c380AD-439AD).
- ERC mac Echach. (c400AD-474AD). Had 12 sons, six stayed in Ireland, six moved to Scotland.
- FERGUS Mor Mac Erca Came to Scotland about 420 AD. (?-487AD).
- DOMANGART I (Dongard) (?-457AD)
- GABHRAN (Conran) (d. 535 AD)
- AIDAN of Argyll (Edhan) (?-608AD)
- EOCHAIDH I Buidhe (Eugene IV) (d.622AD)
- DOMNALL BREC (Donald IV) (?-c642AD)
- DOMANGART II MacDomnall (?-673AD)
- EOICHAID of Argyl (?-698AD) md. Entfidich
- EOICHAID III (?-733AD)
- Aed Find (Etfinus, Ethafind) (d. 761 AD) m. Fergina
- EOCHAID Achaias (d. 819 AD) m. Fergusia
- ALPIN MacEochaid (d. 834 AD)
- Kenneth II MacAlpin (c810-854AD)
- Constantin I, King of Scotland (d. 874 AD)
- DONALD II, King of Scotland (d. 903 AD)
- MALCOLM I, King of Scotland (?-954AD)
- KENNETH II, King of Scotland (?-995AD)
- MALCOLM II, King of Scotland (c954-1034AD)
- Bethoc (Beatrix) md. Crinan of Dunkeld.
- Duncan I, The Gracious (c1001-1040) md. Aelflaed (Sybil) of Northumbria
- MALCOLM III Caenmore (A.D.1055-1093) md. Margarethe of England
Our Line of Descent from Malcolm III:
MALCOLM III Caenmore (A.D.1055-1093) md. Margarethe of England
DAIVD I, The Saint, md. Maud of Northcumberland EDITH, md Henry I, King of England
HENRY of Huntingdon md. Adama of Surrey Matilda. (Maud) She married (1) Henry V of Germany. she married (2) Geoffrey V, Count of Anjou and Maine.
David of Huntingdon md. Maud of Chester HENRY II, King of England md Ida, Countess of Norfolk
Isabella of Huntingdon md. Robert IV de Brus William I Longspee md Ela Fitzpatrick
Robert V de Brus md. Isabella de Clare, of Gloucester William II Longspee md Idonie de Camville
Robert VI de Brus md. Marjorie of Carrick Ela Longspee md James de Audley
Robert I Bruce md. Isabella of Mar Hugh de Audley md Isolde de Mortimer
Margary Bruce md. Walter Stewart III Hugh de Audley md Margaret de Clare
Robert II md. Euphemia of Ross Margaret de Audley. md Ralph de Stafford
Robert III (Stuart) md. Arabella Drummond Hugh Stafford. md Philippa de Beauchamp
James I, King of Scotland md. Joan Beaufort Edmund Stafford. md Anne of Gloucester
Joan STEWART (STUART) md. James DOUGLAS III, Earl of Morton Humphrey Stafford. md Anne Neville
Janet DOUGLAS (c1461-1489). md. Patrick HEPBURN Margaret Stafford md Robert Dunham
Jane HEPBURN (1485-c1558). md. George SEATON John Dunham md Elizabeth Bowett
George SEATON III (c1508-1549). md. Elizabeth HAY John Dunham II md Jean Thorland
Marion SEATON (1528-1567). md. John GRAHAM John Dunham III md Benedict Folgamsee
Margaret (Mary) GRAHAM md. George BUCHANAN Ralph Dunham. He married Elizabeth Wentworth.
Margaret Helen BUCHANAN md. (Sir) Alexander COLQUHOUN Thomas Dunham. He married Jane Bromley.
(Sir) Alexander COLQUHOUN md. Marion Stirling (Sterling) John Dunham Sr.. He married Susanna Kenney/Keno.
(Sir) John COLQUHOUN (1595 or1632-c1647) md. Rebecca Short John Dunham Jr.. He married Mary.
William CAHOON (1633-1675) md. Deliverence PECK Mary Dunham. She married James Hamblin
Joseph CAHOON (1665-1710) md. (2) Elizabeth SCRANTON Elkenah Hamblin. He married Abigail Hamblin.
Ebenezer CAHOON md. Mary REYNOLDS Sylvanus Hamblin. He married Dorcas Fish.
William CAHOONE md. (2) Elizabeth VAUGHAN Barnabus Hamblin. He married Mary Bassett.
William CAHOON md. (2) Mary SMITH Isaiah Hamblin. He married Daphne Haynes.
Mary CAHOON md. David ELLIOTT Jacob Vernon Hamblin md Sarah Priscilla Leavitt.
Peter Mack ELLIOTT md. Charlotte ALVORD Ella Ann Hamblin = Warren Moroni Tenney
Harriett Louisa ELLIOTT md. James Newberry MORRIS Clive Vernon Tenney = Minnie Williams
Eli Ray MORRIS (1892-1980) md. Tina Matilda KUNZLER Mildred Ella Tenney = Glenn Russell Handy
LeGrand Elliott MORRIS md. Dorothea Bertha Ernestine Kersten |
Rodney Allen MORRIS -- married -- Deborah Lee Handy