HOME ~ Contact us
John ap ADAM (Adam Fychan)
John ap ADAM. (Adam Fychan). (Lord of Beachley). [Ancestors].
Born about 1220; son of Adam Gwent. (S1).
The Welsh word 'Fychan' actually means 'little' in the sense that a same- named child of Adam Gwent would be 'little Adam' to distinguish him from his father. Not in the sense of physical stature; a short man was called 'Bach'. Fychan is pronounced VAW kun and came to be used much like the English 'junior'. (S11).
Bradney claims he was a base son (born out of wedlock). (S1). It is said that his mother was (miss) de Seymour. (S4). However, neither of these sources provide documentation.
He received the estate of Beachley from his father. (S1).
He was living in 1249 AD. (S1).
CHILDREN of John ap ADAM:
- John ap ADAM. [Ancestors]. Born about 1255 AD. He married Elizabeth, only child and heir of John de Gournay, with whom he held a large estate comprising the manors of Beverston and Beachley in Gloucestershire, originally part of the estates of the Lords Berkeley'. Sir John was summoned to Parliament in 1296. He was present at the Battle of Falkirk, July 1298. He died soon after 1310.
- [S1]. THE HERBERT FAMILY PEDIGREE. By Darrell Wolcott. Ancient Wales Studies. http://www.ancientwalesstudies.org/id40.html.
- [S2]. KEAR family research. Accessed online 22 May 2009. (url needed). QUOTES as source: Bradney's A History Of Monmouthshire ( 1923, re-issued 1993 ).
- [S3]. Ladd, Reed, Cook, Engle, Hamilton, Lennon Ancestors. RootsWeb. http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=tibart&id=I33230.
- [S4]. Fabulous Pedigrees. http://fabpedigree.com/s052/f859309.htm
HOW ARE WE RELATED:
John ap Adam (Adam Fynchan)
(Sir) John ap Adam and Elizabeth de Gournay
Thomas ap Adam and Joan Inge
John ap Adam married Millicent Bessylls
(Sir) John ap Adams (c1360-?) (He added the "s" to the name,) md Clara Powell
Roger Adams and Jane Ellyott
Thomas Adams and Marie Upton
John Adams and Jane Rannelegh
John Adams and Christine Stebbing
John Adams and Margery Squire
Richard Adams and Margaret Armager
Robert Adams and Elizabeth Sharlon
Robert Adams and Eleanor Wilmot
Elizabeth Adams and Edward Phelps
Samuel Phelps and Sarah Chandler
John Phelps and Sarah Andrews
John Phelps and Deborah Lovejoy
Samuel Phelps and Margaret Nevins
Ebenezer Ferrin and Lydia Phelps
Samuel Ferrin and Sally Clotilda Powell
Lydia Powell Ferrin and George William Washington Williams
George William Williams and Harriett Thurston
Minnie Williams and Clive Vernon Tenney
Mildred Ella Tenney and Glenn Russell Handy
Deborah Lee Handy and Rodney Allen Morris